Tropical Decor for Your Glass Dome

$10

Last time I was in IKEA they had these large glass domes (cloches) on offer with their family card. Well I can't resist a bargin so decided to buy one. The only thing was to decide what to put in it. I love the trend for tropicals in home decor at the moment and I'm particularly fond of tropical birds and parrots. In fact I have a great collection of free vintage parrot paintings on my site.

With the cloche I decided to create my own tropical avairy for my mantle.

All you need for this DIY decor idea besides the glass dome is a woodslice, some wooden skewers, matte photo paper for printing, craft glue and a paper cutting knife.

Make sure the wood slice fits inside the base.

If you visit my blog at the end there is a link were you can print out a some wonderful vintage parrot images. Print them on to matte photo paper on the highest quality setting in your printer.

Then place the print outs on a cutting mat and using a paper knife cut out the parrots one by one. Simply go around the outline with the paper knife.

Cut out more parrots, so you have a few to choose from.

Next, draw some tree trunks and branches for the parrots to perch on. These can be very simple branches drawn with black pen on white paper (I used the same matte photo paper). Cut out these branches using the craft knife.

Next, stick one of the branches to a bamboo skewer using craft glue. Then glue a parrot so that it is perched on the branch.

With the parrots in the cloche it looks best if they are at different heights. I stick each parrot into some scrap foam to play with the arrangement, until I'm happy how they look.

Also make sure that your arrangement will fit inside the glass.

When you are happy with your arrangement of the parrots, using hot glue stick them to the woodslice.

I love how my tropical aviary looks with all the colourful parrots. It goes with all my other colourful vintage displays such as my rainbow vintage fish gallery wall.

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Claire Armstrong