Asked on Sep 24, 2020

What is this??

Jeremy HoffpauirKim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableAgnes Chrzanowska


On the front porch of a house we are buying comes off not sure what it’s for.. this time I will include pic

13 answers
  • Recreated Designs
    on Sep 25, 2020

    Hmm, I have no idea but it looks like you are buying a log house? Is it some sort of valve? It looks like there might be a opening on this end for some type of gas or propane?

  • Betsy
    on Sep 25, 2020

    Hi Pat: Seeing the black pipe makes me think that it is a gas pipe. How is the home heated? Maybe this site will help:

  • My guess is a gas pipe. Your home inspector should be able to identify it.

  • Flipturn
    on Sep 25, 2020

    Does the back rectangular piece of wood that the protruding pipe comes out of lie flat against the siding, or is there a space or gap in between it and the house?

    I am thinking that it is type of mount that something like an awning bracket has been screwed into at some point in time?

  • Johnavallance82
    on Sep 25, 2020

    Hello again,

    Flag Pole? More photo's from further away so perspective can be gained would be helpful.

  • Cindy
    on Sep 25, 2020

    Black pipe usually indicates a gas line. It could be old and not in use any more, but was probably a gas line at some point. I think I answered your first question. Just disregard my post.

  • Cynthia H
    on Sep 25, 2020

    Hi! Does it have a shut off? Is it connected to anything else? Does part of it go through a wall? If the answer to those questions is no, it might be a DIY attempt of some type. Could your realtor ask the owners? Good luck and stay safe!

  • Cheryl A
    on Sep 25, 2020

    It looks like a gas line ~ why not call the previous owners and ask them or else call the gas company in your area and see if it is operative and if not how to shut it off- it could be a safety hazzard and the gas company will check it out for you

  • Dee
    on Sep 25, 2020

    You have to get an inspection before purchasing a home. I would ask the inspector exactly what it is. To me it looks like a gas line, but if there is a water heater on the other side of that wall it could be a vent line.

  • Mogie
    on Sep 25, 2020

    We are in the process of selling a home right now. ALWAYS get an inspection first. An inspection can find and alert you to serious problems. If you buy a used car you take it to a mechanic before buying it so the same should apply to an even bigger and more permanent purchase.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska
    on Sep 28, 2020

    it Does look like a rusted pipe ..It would be nice to know what is behind that wall or on top to confirm

  • It's a cool piece. I wonder if there's a longer piece that the homeowner has and you could clean it up and use it.

  • Jeremy Hoffpauir
    on Sep 30, 2020

    Black pipe usually means a gas line.

Your comment...