Best Way to Clean Windows and Mirrors

$5

How to clean windows without streaks has always been a struggle for me. A big struggle! I have looked up a crazy amount of cleaning hacks, tips, and tricks to help me clean my windows.

Under my kitchen sink, I have a cabinet full of window cleaning products that just do not work for me and I have tried a number of home remedy ideas with vinegar, rubbing alcohol...I think one even had bleach. You name it, I tried it! What happens is right after I clean them, they look AMAZING! I check them out from all angles. I look at them from the inside and the outside and I think, I finally got this! BUT...once the afternoon sun hits my sliding glass doors, it's Smearville and my heart sinks all over again!Why do you hate me sun?

What about mirrors?

Usually, Windex works well on mirrors, but we have a cloudy mirror situation in our master bathroom that I have been fighting with for four years! I clean it and again, I think I got this, but it seems the smear just moves to a different location. Very frustrating! I've tried different paper towels, microfiber cloths and don't even get me started on newspapers! I was ready to give up.

Is there a window cleaning solution?

So you might be wondering if there actually is a window and mirror cleaning solution. I'm here to tell you that I have found the answer to make your windows and mirrors streak-free and they will sparkle!Where did I finally find the answer? The answer is my 91-year-old aunt! Aunt Rose had the answer all these years and I didn't even know it!To meet Aunt Rose and see how I FINALLY found out about this, you can go to my blog!

Pre-cleaning Prep

Before you get started, you want to prepare your cleaning solutions! Pull out two buckets.Bucket 1:Add a squirt or two of dish soap and fill with warm to hot water. Don’t go crazy with the dish soap, you don’t want to be fighting soap build up.

Bucket 2:Add a cup of vinegar and fill with warm to hot water. How much vinegar you put in doesn’t really matter. I usually wing it and if I can smell it, it’s good. 

Step 1: Start cleaning those windows!Take a clean rag, put it in the soapy bucket, and wring out the excess water. Run it all over your window and make sure to get into those corners. This step breaks down any dirt, grease, and dust on the window. This is equally important inside and out. 

Step 2:  Break out the vinegar.Soak the second rag in the vinegar bucket. You don’t have to completely wring it out, it can stay a little wetter. Run it over the window you just cleaned with the dish soap. The vinegar breaks down the soap and won’t leave any kind of film. 

Step 3: Squeegee and ZepI like to squeegee the excess vinegar water off the window, but you can just use a clean rag instead. It doesn’t need to be completely dry before you spray the window generously with the Zep and immediately use the microfiber cloth to wipe it down. Make sure to wipe it down until it is dry. Don’t let it air dry. Again, make sure you get into all of the corners.

Windows? What windows? I don’t see any windows.That is it! Not a streak in sight!After I successfully cleaned the windows, I decided to tackle the mirror the same way. 

How do you clean mirrors without streaks?After I successfully cleaned the windows, I decided to tackle the mirror the same way. The only thing you want to be wary of when cleaning a mirror is you don’t want to get it overly wet. If you get water or cleaning solutions accumulating on the edges, it wears at the edges and you get that dreaded black edge. If you ever get the edge of a mirror wet, be sure to dry it immediately, don’t let it sit wet. When I cleaned the mirror, I just made sure that I wrung out both rags really well before applying them to the mirror.I hope that helps! For more tips, how to clean window tracks and screens, and how to clean and vinyl windows, be sure to head over to my blog!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Mona  ~ Craft Klatch