Next Level Backsplash Makeover

$10

When I moved to my new house a month and a half ago, I found lots of fun project opportunities to share with you guys. One of them is my ugly kitchen backsplash makeover. I’m not ready for a full kitchen remodel and I don’t plan to do one, because I mostly like it as is, it just needs some small modifications. Today I’ll show you how I upgraded my backsplash with almost no money.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Before

the steel tile panel was giving me a headache every time I looked at it. The cabinets were bamboo and the appliances were steel and black. I felt like the steel tile backsplash was not matching the general look and was giving the illusion of a smaller kitchen. So here was my fix!

Watch the video for the full update.

Prepare the surface

The backsplash needs to be well cleaned and air dry before any work can begin. Yes, I worked on the actual steel backsplash. No removing no replacing, just updating it. Remove the outlets for easier work.

Paint

I painted with a good ultra white semi gloss paint. Two coats were enough to have a nice and clean white look.

Add Metallic gold accent areas

It is quite boring to have a plain white backsplash. I decided to buy this small metallic paint. It’s called Glorious Gold. Not very bright but not vintage, so it’s just in between. And of course a sponge brush for an even application.

"Tap" on the gold

With the sponge brush, I tapped the gold paint gently and very lightly over the 3D texture of the backsplash. I had to brush in kind of limp and fluid motion, just following my hand's movements. Like dancing ballet, sort of ;)

Seal it

Using a sealer over the finished work is very important to protect the backsplash from the frequent wiping and cleaning. After all, it’s a kitchen and kitchens get dirty and need to be cleaned very often. I used a spray sealer that I found on sale way before I moved to this house. Some times, buying things on sale that you don’t need right away can be very useful later.

Zoom in

That’s how it looks now.

After

This is how it looks after this fun project. The kitchen looks bigger and more interesting. My husband who is never impressed finally was this time. I’m planing to change the cabinet hardware and I’ll share the result. If you decide to try this project, believe me you’ll have lots of fun.

See you soon on the next Hometalk project.

Kitchen look after replacing hardware from silver to Gold.

3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom

• Christine
    Christine

I love this, it so neat, can I ask your advice , If I painted my kitchen cabinets what color would you recommend ?

• Hinda
      Hinda

I’m so glad you liked my project, and of course i can help you with that.

well, before you paint your cabinet here you are my advice:

1. if your kitchen is small go with light colors, as white, off white, light grey, pastel green or pastel yellow. It will gives your kitchen lots of dimension and brightness.
      2. If your kitchen is not small or even big and have natural light coming through, you can use the dark grey, black or blue navy they match so well with gold or silver hardware.

So how big is your kitchen?

• Pamela Gibson
    Pamela Gibson

Is there any materials or paint that I could cover yellowish marble?

• Hinda
      Hinda

Is that a countertop marble or a backsplash?

Because if its a marble countertop, you can use the epoxy resin!

• Josefina F Andujar
    Josefina F Andujar

Once you it doesn't peels off?? Because I've hear that those things tent to peel off short time after been applied

• Janice
      Janice
      10 hours ago

What floor? She painted the backsplash. Didn't mention floors in her project information.

• Hinda
    Hinda

Hello everybody, i posted pictures with the gold cabinets hardware as many asked me to do ones i change my silver hardware to god.

Have a wonderful season.

• Paula
    Paula
    An hour ago

It looks great! Looks great with your cabinets! I would not change a think unless your countertop needs replacing , but otherwise, it is great!!! The cabinets hold the dishes etc just fine. Don’t waste big $ to get some new , probably not as well made cabinets. No question. Just a compliment!!

• Hinda
      Hinda
      Just now

Thank you so much and you may be right. The countertop needs replacement.