Asked on Sep 26, 2020

How can I achieve this look?

Ella DavidBecky at Flipping the FlipJeremy Hoffpauir
+15

Hi I have a stone wall in my kitchen.(Tuscan colors) I would like to lighten it up.

I have enclosed some pictures of the look I am trying to achieve. I know that some people paint their wall but that is not the look I am going for, I know a lot have gone for the German smear. I have tried the mortar smear but it ended up looking like I left cement on the rock. Has anyone achieved this look., if so what products and color did you use. Does anyone have a video.

Thank you so much

Mar

• Cindy

hi Mary. This wall looks like it has been whitewashed. To achieve this look, mix together equal parts of water and white latex paint. Apply the whitewash with a brush or a rag. The beauty of this process is that you can apply more whitewash in desired areas or remove whitewash in other areas by simply wringing out your rag in clean water. Check out You Tube for step-by-step tutorials. Good luck Mary. I hope you are well.

• Johnavallance82

HELLO,

Use a dry brush method with White Emulsion or Masonry Paint. Best wishes

• Rymea

Its hard to tell due to the lighting. The right side looks much lighter than the left. But it could be that it was first white washed and then some of it was wiped or washed off of the darker stones. Then they painted over rest of the stones with barely darker more peachy/yellow tint to go with the wood.

If you decide to try that I would leave a LOT more dark areas than you hope to actually end up with.

Here is another picture where it just looks whitewashed.

https://www.purewow.com/news/chip-joanna-gaines-filming-for-tv-network

• Mary

Hi Rymea,

Yes! that is what I am trying to achieve. I have tried contacting

them to see if they could give me the the colors and technique

but they did not have that information.

• Cheryl A

white washing would be the easiest way to do this ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0siSywJCQ

• What about just using plaster?

• Lindsay Aratari

You could white wash it

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Show the picture of your area you are dealing with ... Are you trying to copy wall or entre vignette

• K. Rupp

White washing would be better and would be easy to paint over again in the future. I agree that with German Schmear technique, you could be left with plaster or spackle that could flake off easy creating a mess. Not sure how they seal that. White wash:)

• This one is a whitewashed fireplace using layers of chalk paint to get that worn and weathered look. Maybe it will help and chalk paint is very easy to use. http://erin-artandgardens.blogspot.com/2013/02/painted-stone-fireplace-before-and-after.html

• Dee

I did some additional research for you, it looks like it may be a German smear which mimics the look of irregular stones and heavy mortar joints, a style often found on centuries-old cottages and castles throughout northern Germany. The technique is akin to whitewashing bricks, but instead of using diluted latex paint, homeowners coat the brick with a layer of wet mortar.

However, when it comes to the amount of time a German smear lasts, it is important to know that it is permanent. There is no changing your mind in a couple years and taking it down. But, if done correctly, a German smear looks awesome and will be something you can happily enjoy for years to come.

• Bill R.

Go on wish online and look up faux stone panels, some are cool and others can be painted to custom look or home centers for a more durable product

• Sharon

If you want a German Schmear with less joint compound or mortar, use a wire brush and wet sponge to remove any excess and allow more stone to show through..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdAPj8RXrA if you want a more yellowed tone, get a tube of tinting compound and add it very gradually to the mortar and mix til you achieve your desired color.

I will say the video of her adding the mortar to the grout lines was way to time consuming for me, I use a chemical glove and just shove it in there, or use a mason's grout bag (like using a pastry bag)

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

White paint and use sandpaper to make it look worn.

• Doing some research on faux finishes will help you narrow down the type of technique you’re looking for. Try doing test pieces first so you can practice.

• Ella David

This plaster is called a German Smoar