Vintage Dresser Vanity

$300
1 Week

We were planning on totally redoing our bathroom someday, but when I fell in love with this photo on Pinterest, I wanted to start this project early! We visited a gentleman who lives down the road and redoes furniture to see if he had any dressers for this project. Well, lo and behold he did- it was meant to be!

Continue scrolling for our dresser-to-vanity tutorial.

Inspiration photo & supplies

Here is the photo I fell in love with!

Supplies for this project:

• dresser
  • vessel or drop in sink
  • vessel or regular faucet
  • stain stripper
  • stain or paint of choice
  • polyurethane
  • jig saw
The dresser

This dresser was stripped of its original stain and restained with Minwax's "Early American".

Sink hole & drawer configuration

Cut out a hole for where your sink will sit. I had bought a vessel sink from Home Depot which came with a template to trace for the size of hole to make.

This top drawer was taken apart and just the front was secured back on to make room for the drain and plumbing right below the sink.

Halfway done

This is the dresser stripped, stained, and ready for some polyurethane.

Top coat

I did 2 coats with this polyurethane. Make sure to do the inside of the drawers too!

Each coat dried for at least 24 hours.

Cut outs for plumbing

The cuts you'll need to make will be different depending on your plumbing situation. Our pipes came out of the floor, but some might come out of the wall.

This is the back of the dresser looking from the front with the drawers taken out.

Drawer cut outs

This is the middle drawer with cuts made to fit the plumbing.

Also pictured are the wood pieces that were cut out from the whole dresser which I'll make new sides with to go around the cuts.

Drawer cut outs

This is the bottom drawer with a bit of the back cut out to fit the plumbing.

Done!

Enjoy your old but new vanity!

*Disclaimer: My dad is a plumber and helped me with all the plumbing! I'm not sure on any specifics regarding the plumbing installation.

Lather, rinse, repeat

For more ideas and ongoing projects, follow along on Instagram and Facebook!

Insta: @farmhouse.ongunnshill

Facebook: Lauren Ann Design

~Lauren 

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas

• Kelly Koleff
    Kelly Koleff

Question, why did you change the dresser from image number one? That dresser has two drawers on top. the second dresser image only has one drawer then the middle and bottom drawers. To do this with the first dresser with the two small drawer on top would be very difficult to do. But I have one of those ( with two small drawers on top) and would really like to do this project.

• Karen Knoll
      Karen Knoll

I went back and reread and I think the first pic that she shows is just a pic of the dresser that she saw and fell in love with. That gave her the idea for the project.

• Teri Perrin
    Teri Perrin

Great job! One small suggestion, please replace your electrical outlet with a GFI (GCFI) outlet because of it’s proximity to the water source.

• Jinxx
    Jinxx

So happy that you posted this! I have been planning to do this in my upstairs bathroom. I have to confess I still love some of these old oak pieces. I have been unable to part with my Sellers cabinet or icebox.

Anyway - I wanted to ask if you could possibly post the height, depth and width measurements of your piece to give some idea of the proportions. How does the height of the piece work for you? Did you need to make it taller or shorter? Many thanks for any insight you can provide. You are a true inspiration!

• Debby
    Debby

yours turned out “fab”.

this is what I did in my bathroom with a buffet.

• Elaine
    Elaine

No question. I just wanted to tell you, I have that exact same dresser! I am almost 61, and it was at my grandparents home, when i was a little girl. Grandmother said it was handed down yo her..