Room Makeover Using Dado Rail

$100

My daughters room was needing a new “big girl” makeover. I didn’t want to just paint the walls or use wallpaper so decided to change this up with some paint and a dado rail. I loved the panelling idea that has been so popular recently but thought it was a little too grown up for her. So this was the perfect compromise idea.

To start with I measured from the top of the ceiling to the top of the door frame and then drew a pencil like across the wall

This gave me the line that I needed to paint your to with my primary colour and then the section at the top that was white

i painted my primary colour up to the like first

Then I painted with the white. It didn’t need to be perfect as the dado rail was going to cover it

This was the dado rail I used. I got a pack of 6 from diy store. Just make sure you measure your room to find out how many you would beee depending on the length. Mine were 2.5m each and were 5cm wide

I used seriously strong wood adhesive to put up the rail.

I put the glue on in a zig zag style to cover the wood

I then placed it on the wall and held it in position for a few minutes until it was secure. I did put a panel pin at each end as well just incase.

I then painted the rail white. I do wish I had painted the rails first putting them up. So I would suggest to do this first then you can always do another coat once they are up

This was the first wall finished and I was really pleased with how it was looking. I took the look the whole way around the room. The corners were a little tricky but I just cut the wood at angle so they would slot together

This was her room done (the bed arrived before I could finish above the window so there is no rail above there on this picture but it’s done now)

15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before

• Darlene Merritt
    Darlene Merritt

Are your ceilings 8 feet or 9 feet ?

• Tam
    Tam

Oh goodness...........sooooooo pretty! On that same note, people are doing this to enlarge the ceiling... even though you did not paint for that reason...do you see it as larger/taller? I'm just wondering what I am missing.... It's like those cool books from the 90's 'Magic Eye'...TOOK ME FOREVER before I caught on...then like a drug, I couldn't stop looking... I would LOVE to 'see the illusion'...but have not....yet.

• Tam
    Tam

I've seen this being done recently, and I think I am the only one who thinks this does the opposite. I get the idea...but for some reason I don't see it...but it is beautiful. I wish I could see it...because I love the idea....

• Our Beautiful Bellway
      Our Beautiful Bellway

I didn’t do this to make the room look bigger. I did it because I like the look. So I’m glad you think it’s beautiful as that was what I was going for

• Maryann
    Maryann

Wow! Looks great!