Cabinet door refinish -- latch hits frame

+14

Looking for some insight as to why -- after stripping an old bathroom medicine cabinet door and staining, cleaning the hinges and reattaching -- the door fits in the frame but the latch on the knob (which doesn't move) hits the frame so the door won't shut completely. I tried readjusting the hinges and they look flush with the previous placement. Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

q cabinet door refinish latch hits frame
  • Maura White Maura White on Sep 29, 2020

Maybe the painted wood expanded a bit so now it won't fit? Is there a way to remove the knob?

• William William on Sep 29, 2020

It looks like you have a ball latch. The ball is spring loaded and should move in and out. It should move. Refinishing the door may have gotten some dirt, crud, or solvent around the ball. Try some WD40 or cooking oil on the ball and gently pushing it and out to free it up. I don't see a strike plate but there should be one to protect the wood cabinet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Satin-Nickel-Drive-In-Ball-Catch-with-Strike-N-7334/206124256

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 29, 2020

I would look into using a dremel to grind the point down on the latch.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Sep 29, 2020

I think it is because yu made a picture super close .. I would leave it alone ...since your wood is not treated yet it may expand

• Michelle Michelle on Sep 29, 2020

I had this happen. I allowed a few weeks for the paint to cure and then was able to close the cabinet

• That ball should move in and out to allow the door to close. Can you push on it a bit to see if you can unstick it?

• Dee Dee on Sep 29, 2020

If you can push it, just wait until the paint cures. It may go back into place. If not just grind down the latch, with a dremel or 60 grit sandpaper.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 30, 2020

It appears the hardware isn't moving. The little tip should move in for the door to be closed and back out to keep it in place. You might have gotten a bit of paint in the mechanism. Try a drop of lithium white grease to lubricate and make sure there is no paint on the inside of the door on the catch side.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Sep 30, 2020

Yeah I think someone else also suggested it: I would try cleaning that little latch and applying wd-40. It does take awhile (depending on the type of products you used) for everything to completely cure and dry.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Sep 30, 2020

It appears as though it fits. Maybe put some oil or lubricant on the ball.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Oct 01, 2020

Is the ball stuck? It may need to be cleaned. I have those on a curio cabinet, but there is a metal strike plate to keep the wood protected.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 01, 2020

Hello there,

Have you tried WD-40 on the latch to try and release it?

• Cindy Cindy on Oct 05, 2020

Is there any way you can grease the ball in the ball latch? It might have taken on some dirt or debris when you stripped and stained the wood. The hinges look good. This is not a hinge problem. I believe it's a ball latch problem.

• You may have hydrated the wood and it has swallow out.

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 05, 2020

Hi Laura: Just an observation. Is the piece of the latch facing us convex and the other side flat? Perhaps it's on backwards and is supposed to roll off of the convex side into the frame and latch. The know has no action on this latch?

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Dec 02, 2020

That type of catch is known as a bullet catch. The ball is supposed to be spring loaded. Yours is probably seized up. Try spraying a little lubricant on it and it should free up. WD-40 is okay, but I prefer PB-Blaster. It works better, and faster.