Asked on Sep 29, 2020


Simple Nature DecorGina HansonMorgan McBride


My worktops r a horrible green colour ( rented). Ideas plz on what I can safely cover them with. Thank you all.😊

21 answers
  • Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska
    on Sep 29, 2020

    it that is a countertop I am afraid you can't do much about it but I would concentrate on surroundin area like backsplash that you can use peel and stick tiles. That will for sure help out to tone down green color. I also think green color is super soothing and relaxing in the house

  • Annie
    on Sep 29, 2020

    Here's how we completely changed the look of our kitchen, and it is super inexpensive too. We did ours for under $100 and it has held up great.

    And if you don't want granite look, they have other kits or just leave it a solid black.

  • Annie
    on Sep 29, 2020

    Oh sorry, I didn't see that you are in a rental. Would your landlord be willing to do a project like the one I linked?

  • Hmm... a rental is tough. I do know people who have used contact paper to cover them. Not sure that it would come off easily though.

  • Janice
    on Sep 30, 2020

    Hi Kathy, if your work tops are truly "horrible" I suggest you try to work with your landlord for a resolution. I used to be a landlord and had many renters through the years, one of whom covered the counters with fishing lure design contact paper. It took me hours and hours to remove. I suggest you try to locate large cutting boards or stainless steel pieces you can place on your counters to make the green less noticeable and draw attention away from the green that you dislike so much.

  • Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari
    on Sep 30, 2020

    Contact paper may work

  • Oliva
    on Sep 30, 2020

    If you rent, you'll just have to learn to live with it, unless your landlord agrees, in writing, to a specific change, at your expense. Even then, I doubt he'll agree, for fear of damage to surrounding items or requests from other tenants to change other things causing too much difference between units. If you can't live with this, you'll need to look for another rental once your lease nears its expiration date.

  • Flipturn
    on Sep 30, 2020

    I would not suggest you to try to cover your countertops with contact paper, especially since the unit is a rental. Not only do you risk loosing your damage deposit, you may also be subject to a fine for 'making unauthorized decorating changes' or 'causing damage'.

  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H
    on Sep 30, 2020

    Hi! When I rented, I had two large cutting boards that not only hid old counters, but, were useful. Corelle used to make large glass heat pads and they were great for protecting nicer ones, too. Good luck and stay safe!

  • Redcatcec
    on Sep 30, 2020

    How about a large sheet of plexiglass measured and cut to the counter top dimensions, you could cover that with what you like...paint, paper, anything food safe. Just make sure anything that gets under it gets cleaned up right away so the counter top does not get damaged.

  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    on Sep 30, 2020

    You may have to live with the countertops in the rental. You can try talking to your landlord and see if they are willing to upgrade the countertops or ask if he would allow you to paint them. There are some good countertop ideas here:

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law
    on Sep 30, 2020

    The countertop painting kits are great or you could cover with contact paper. If they get a lot of wear & tear, you can seal the contact paper but it makes it more difficult to change out later.

  • Maura White
    Maura White
    on Sep 30, 2020

    How about peel and stick options like these:

  • Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir
    on Sep 30, 2020

    What is your existing surface made of?

  • Pat
    on Sep 30, 2020

    Years ago Mother used contact paper on her counter top. When it got messy and spotted, she just changed it out, Always looked cheerful in her kitchen, I don't remember it ruining the counter top when she removed it. She was covering up a linoleum counter top with metal rim around it.

  • Betsy
    on Oct 3, 2020

    Hi Kathy: First of all, check with your landlord to see if you can change the colour, and if so, do you have to put it back like it was when you moved in. Get this in writing, signed and dated by you both. Take pictures of the before and after and, if you have to put it back like it was, then take pictures of that, too, with a copy of the day's newspaper in the photo so you can verify the date. If you get the o.k. to go ahead and don't have to put it back like it was, check these sites for some ideas:

    Good luck

  • Johnavallance82
    on Oct 3, 2020


    Make a loose Fit over Cover for them using MDF and cover with the finish you like. When you finish renting, you can remove ..........

  • Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride
    on Oct 3, 2020

    contact paper

  • Gina Hanson
    Gina Hanson
    on Oct 4, 2020

    As a landlord, I would have 2 comments: 1) don't rent a place that has a permanent fixture you do not like and then try to change it or expect the landlord to change it; 2) don't go behind the landlord's back and make even what you think may be a "temporary" change like contact paper. Feel free to ask the landlord if they would be willing to change them out or allow you to do some sort of updating. They may say no, so don't get your hopes up and be mad if they say no. They have their reasons. It's best to discuss these things PRIOR to signing a binding lease.

  • Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor
    on Oct 6, 2020

    Are you allowed to paint. You can paint it with a primer and then whatever color you like over that.

Your comment...