Prefab to Fabulous Upcycled Playhouse

$300

Keeping little ones busy at home can be a challenge! I wanted a play area with a playhouse for my little one but I didn't want to spend a ton of money. Here's how I upcycled a tired playhouse to get the look I wanted for cheap!

I searched online for a used playhouse and found one cheap on a buy and sell. 

After reassembling I gave it a good clean and very light sanding.

I decided to build a base to keep the playhouse off the ground. The base also makes a great front and side porch. The playhouse was 3 ½’ x 3 ½’ so I made the base 5’ x 5’. 

I built two platforms using pressure treated 2” x 4”s and plywood cut in half to 5’ x 2 ½’.

I used some exterior stain to seal the plywood. I found stain in the mis-tint bin for only $9 a gallon!

I used some left over exterior paint and my spray gun and gave the inside and out a coat of white paint. On the roof I used a black stain but paint would work as well.

I built some cute accessories with some cedar cut offs from another project. A mailbox, workbench and serving area add so much character. I also made a mini pinecone wreath for the front door.

Once we had the playhouse in position, I dug out a little walkway and placed some bricks I had laying around. I also planted a Boxwood bush for the front garden.

So far the playhouse is a big hit with my little one!

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas

• Arlene Kevitz

How do you keep the rain out? I don't see any windows or overhangs.

• Alisha Lime

I don't keep the rain out. I've used all materials that are meant for the outdoors.

• Gale O'Neal

Adorable!

• Janice

Alisha, thanks for sharing your project! It is adorable and I know your little one will get hours of enjoyment in the unique little house. You're building sweet memories for your family. When my daughter was about 4 y/o we were gifted a wooden homemade little house from good friends who had teenage girls. We fixed it up, painted it pink with white trim, put window boxes on it, etc. and even ran electricity to it. Many years later when we were moving we touched base with the people who'd given it to our little girl and they now had grandchildren. We were able to load it it up onto a flatbed trailer and take it to their daughter's house. Such a fun thing to know it was going to bring happiness to another little person in the future and it had gone full circle. Sorry this got so long, but your little house brought back fond memories.