DIY Dough Bowl

$10

I was envisioning a giant dough bowl for my dining room table but boy are they expensive to buy! So I set out to MAKE one and it turned out so good! Dont worry- no carving or grinding required!

Grab a 2x10 board

This would probably work with multiple size boards but I happened to find this behind my house and thought if I could double it up I could create a thick “slab”.

Usually dough bowls are made by grinding or carving out of a single slab but this will be much less labor intensive.

Cut your board

Decide how long you want your dough bowl and cut into 2 even pieces. I used the full length of this board which left me with two 35 inch long pieces. Its going to be big!

You can see how the layered boards will give me a faux slab to work with. This method does require 2 boards over a true slab.

Draw out your bowl shape

Using only ONE board draw the shape you want to be inset in the bowl.

Cut with a Jigsaw

Using a jigsaw, cut out your shape by drilling a hole for your starting point. Again- only for 1 of your 2 boards!

Processing...
Glue up

You will now use wood glue to glue your 2 boards together. One on top of each other. You can get an idea of what your bowl looks like now!

Clamp and let it dry for around 24 hours

Cut off your corners

Once dry, you’ll want to give your slab a more “bowl-like” shape by cutting the bottom corners at an angle. I did this by running the whole thing through my table saw at 45 degrees. It took me a few tries to get the blade as high as I wanted.

Now its looking much more like a bowl!

Wood Fill

Using wood filler or sawdust plus glue, fill all the seams where your 2 boards meet. This will give it the look of one solid piece of wood.

Sand

Finally, sand sand sand! It took me about 40 minutes using a 40 grit sanding disc. You’ll want to get all those sharp edges as round as possible. Really shape that bowl! Depending on the look you want, you could sand even more or less.

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Everything Red For Canada Day
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window

• Barbara
    Barbara

A mask, but no protective eyewear?? Great job on the dough bowl though.

• Joanie
    Joanie

Why do they call them dough bowls?.........I love what you did and I love the bowl.........VERY clever! Your table looks so nice!!

• Tmitch5006
      Tmitch5006

My grandma use one to roll her biscuits in and flour stayed in it constantly I remember patting my hands in the flour and putting hand marks on her apron

• Heather Green
    Heather Green

Great project!! Love seeing my sister crafters using power tools!! I didn’t know I needed a dough bowl until today.

• CampmomatHome
    CampmomatHome

Awesome idea!! I want to try this project. Thank you so much for sharing!!