Tommy Bahama Style Card Table Makeover

$25

A friend who works at a exclusive golf club gave me this Tommy Bahama style tropical table and chair set. They are re-decorating some of the rooms in the clubhouse and were getting rid of this table so he asked me if I wanted it. Um, YES please! This set was used in the Card Room as a game table, but I think it would be a nice dining table too.

Anyway…..here it is…it is in decent shape but was definitely scratched up in many places and the color was a little dated. Read on to see how I changed its look.

Check out the steps below to see how I made over this outdated set.

Paint...

I was going for a tropical look with this piece and wanted the legs green and the top a dark brown. I used some chocolate brown paint I found in my garage for the top, and purchased some Krylon Chalky Paint in the color Organic Green from Lowe’s. I know this green is so bright but don’t worry I toned it down.

Add the Wax...

I used Krylon Chalk Finish Antiquing Wax in Dark Vintage to tone down the legs. Using this brush I purchased, I dipped it into the wax and used just a tiny bit at a time.

Table leg before adding the wax.

Table leg after adding the wax

Here is how it looked after applying the wax. For the top, I dry brushed some white first to try to give it a little bit of an antiqued look, then I also applied the wax to the top of the table as well.

Paint the Chairs...

I decided to use my Wagner FLEXiO paint sprayer to paint the chairs. I brought them all outside and went to work. Using a paint sprayer saves so much time!

To make the chairs match the top of the table I did the following. First, I brushed on some white. Next, I added a bit more brown to tone down the white. Once I was happy with the color, I added the antiquing wax.

I like to use MinWax water based polycrylic to protect the finish rather than polyurethane. I always apply at least 2 coats to the entire piece to protect it from scratches.

Here is the final piece! It is a little different style than I normally do, but I like the way it came out. It’s fun.

Check my blog for lots more Trash to Treasure and Thrift Store projects.

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
The House house

• Cheryl

Looks gorgeous!!! What brand of paint did you use for the top? Did you have to sand the top? Thanks

• The House house

I used Behr paint on the top and then layered it with some white, and then finished it with the wax I used on the legs. Then I made sure to use about 2-3 coats of MinWax Polycrylic for the top coat.

• Sam

looks good! and thank goodness you didn't use blue like everyone else seems to be doing. THIS looks original. I've seen so many blue things lately it makes me want to sceam, but you thought outside the box and used colors that would enhance this piece! well done!

• The House house

Thanks! I have to admit I love blue and have been guilty of using it too much myself. But I am loving this green too. I'm glad you do too.

• Vicky Dungan

Loved what u did with this and love the green. I love color. I have two sofa tables that legs were cut to make coffee tables. Had the tips done the dark brown but went with white in bottom but you have inspired me. I think bringing green in would finish off the room where these are. I have navy and white glass wear in that room the green would be just the right touch. Thank u so much!