DIY Tutorial for Board & Batten

You've seen board and batten all over blogland. Here's my version, in my new fixer-upper dining room. We used 1/2" MDF in 6" for the top and 2" for the battens. A nail gun came in handy and lots of white primer and paint. I love the results!
http://southernhospitalityblog.com/house-updates-board-and-batten-rockin-my-new-nail-gun-100-giveaway/
Board & Batten installed
Angled battens, 45 degrees.
Finished board and batten

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Rhoda V

• Lori D

I see the "before" photo of angled battens which is usually a dilemma for me to figure out how to solve blending to existing baseboards. But could you show an "after" photo reflecting that finished look? I know it's probably difficult to capture. Maybe a side shot just including 2 feet and below including as many battens as you can? Thanks. You did an awesome job and I'm just about ready to stop "reading" and start "doing"!

• Rhoda V

HI, Lori, sorry I don't have any detailed pics to upload right now, but you should be able to go to my blog and see all the pics up close. It looks as you would imagine on regular baseboards with a slant to it.

• Glenn

How did You determine the spacing??
    • Rhoda V

Glenn, we really decided what looked good to the eye and then spaced accordingly. We did have to work around vents and some of the spacing is different because of things like that, but if you decide your spacing and stick with it for the most part, it should come out nice. Some of mine is off by an inch or so from the others, but visually it all comes together.

• Kirsten

About how much did this cost to do?

• Rhoda V

HI, Kirsten, I'm not exactly sure, but I'd estimate about $100 or so, since we cut our pieces from MDF sheets, which is really inexpensive. There are several things you can use for this project, including real wood.