Gorgeous Painted Pine Cone Angel Wings

$0

Everyday I walk through my local park on the way to the gym. I walk past some pine trees and I can't help pocketing a few pine cones. I just love them and craft with them all year round I even made a gorgeous Valentine's decor with them (see it here).

This time I decided to make something different for my wall. I have a thing about angel wings so that was the inspiration for this pine cone wall decor.

It's best to have a variety of pine cones in different sizes for this project.

I cut the top few rows of the pine cone scales. This made them look a bit like flowers.

There are a few different ways to paint pine cones which I discuss on my blog post. For this project I wrapped each pine cone in wire an then dipped them diluted left over wall paint. I then left them to dry.

It's best to do this on a sunny day so the pine cones can dry quickly. If they are too wet they will start to close up again.

I then drew out some angel wings on a piece of framed colored card. There is a wing template on the blog you can use.

I then laid out the pine cones onto the wing shape.

Once I was happy with the pine cone lay out. I picked them up one by one and stuck them to the card using hot glue.

I love how the pine cone angel wings look on my gallery wall. I have a thing about angel wings and have even made them out of old birdies here for a Christmas decoration (see here).

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Carrie Rodriguez
    Carrie Rodriguez

How large is this grey card picture angel in frame looks larger than 8 1/2 x 11. Also, how large are the wings? Thanks!

• Claire Armstrong
      Claire Armstrong

The grey card is about 28" by 22" I got it from my local craft shop. The wings are about 16" in length. You can make it any size you want but if you want to make smaller wings then you are better to use smaller pine cones.

• Sharon
    Sharon

You hang this indoors???

• Patinbr
    Patinbr

Can anyone direct me to the tutorial that shows very large pine cones stuffed w/ succulents??

• Brenda Lane
    Brenda Lane

I hope to try making the angel wings most likely I’ll put a storyline about an angels. I do collect angels & have several books so when I’m thru I ll try send a photo. NanaLane

• Do your best!.
    Do your best!.

Hi Claire I was looking at a similar pic in a store was very interested to buy it.

Pleased I did not.👍

As I've just seen yours an it's better then the store version. Very pretty indeed. The pine cones are cool.

I have a arrangement with pinecones. Novelty as wore off.

So I will make my angel's wings. Thanks for your idea. An again yours looks very lovely. Thanks for sharing