Creepy 3D Halloween Mirror

$15

This mirror was inspired by one I made last year for Halloween. The one I made last year had a skull on the mirror surface which I added using waterslide paper. One of my followers said, it would look really cool if the skull could look like it was coming out of the mirror. With this in mind, I came up with this 3D Halloween mirror. I also wanted to add some lights to the inside of the skull to add to the creep factor of the mirror. This creepy Halloween mirror will look great all lit up on your porch to thrill or scare the trick or treaters.

Any mirror will work for this project, but this style will look better. I painted the frame with black gesso and highlighted the raised edges with gold wax paste.

This can be washed off after Halloween or you can seal it with Acrylic spray if you want to keep the look.

Making the 3D skull

To make the skull I used a Halloween jelly mould and some epoxy resin. I had this idea in my head that I wanted the skull to light up on the mirror.

I had no idea if lights would still work once they were set into the resin. So as an added precaution I also added some glow in the dark powder. So if the lights failed it would still shine up. You can use battery operated fairy lights. They are only a couple of dollars at the budget stores.

Add the lights

Spread the lights out over the inside of the skull. I made my first mistake here by not leaving enough wire to hide the battery box behind the mirror. And mistake number 2, I did not check the colour of my lights. I wanted red, but added the blue.

Add the resin

I wanted the mirror to look cool during the day too, so I needed to hide the wires inside the resin. So I added a few drops of red colour pigment to the resin.

You leave the resin to dry as per manufactures instructions. All resins are different, but they seem to be round about 12 hours.

Pop the skull out of the mould and paint it black with acrylic paint or black gesso.

Making the 3D hood

To make the hood you need some craft glue or fabric stiffener, they both work great. And some scrap black fabric, I used an old t shirt.

Place the skull where you would like it and cover it with saran wrap. This is to stop the glue sticking to the mirror and skull, and also prevent lots of cleaning up after.

Put some glue or stiffener into a bowl and add a small amount of water and mix well. Then you can dip your fabric into the glue, try cover all the fabric in glue.

You can now arrange the hood around the skull how ever you like. It will be a bit floppy at first but as the glue dries you can add more detail to the fabric.

I had to pop out unexpectedly before mine was dry. I just grabbed items I had laying around my craft room to hold it in place while it dried. It takes about 2 hours to dry or less outside in the sun.

To give the skull some added character, I used some bronze wax paste and rubbed some over the surface.

The hands are ones I use every year, you buy them as a bag of bones in the budget store. I painted them black and added the wax paste to the surface. I used hot glue to stick them all to the mirror.

To solve my second problem with the short wire. I covered the battery box with fabric and added a spider.

And that is my creepy 3D Halloween mirror completed.

My cost for this project was low because I used items I already had at home. I also used very small quantities of each item, so it is very hard to cost.

More detailed instruction on this and other projects are available for free on my website listed below.

More DIY Projects

This Halloween goblet centerpiece was made from a wine glass and elements made using silicone moulds and hot glue.

How about making a spellbook for Halloween or that Harry Potter fan in your like. This spellbook was made from a recycled book.

This was last years mirror, instructions are on my website if you would like to try it out.

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Unique Creations By Anita

• Donna
    Donna

After painting the skull black, why did the lights shine through?

• Unique Creations By Anita
      Unique Creations By Anita

I wanted them to, the light shine up through the whole skull but you can only see them in the dark. But then then camera does not pick up the mirror

• Donna
    Donna

Thank you Brenda, but what I meant was how could the lights shine through any part of the skull since you painted it with an opaque, black paint.

• Maude  LaFountain
    Maude LaFountain

That is super cool !!!..... I love it ........I have white Gesso but not black can I add craft paint to it or maybe Black Food Coloring?....And How did you get the saran wrap off and did you Hot Glue the Hood to the mirror ?...Very creative I love it !!

• Unique Creations By Anita
      Unique Creations By Anita

Thank you so much. I only used gesso because it was what I had at home. Any paint will work. The saran wrap was only placed over the mirror for protection. It just lifts off. And yes it was all glued to the mirror using hot glue.