How to Get a Ceramic Terracotta Look on a Thrifted Vase

$2

You can see the trend in the DIY world to paint with soda to create a terracotta effect on nearly anything. You didn’t have to ask me twice to jump on this wagon. I tried painting vases with DIY chalk paint (baking soda and acrylic paint) and going to share with you my experience of what happened.

You can find a tutorial for this DIY book art installation on my blog as well ;)

Doesn't it look gorgeous??:))
Choose a vase

The best place to find jars for this transformation would be Goodwill or some sort of thrift store where for a couple of bucks you could find some really amazing shapes of vases.

So here are the main criteria for the jar you’ll be working with – the shape. Don’t sweat too much about the color – you can transform any ugly vase with this craft.

Note* I already painted this vase on the photo for my spring mantel

Add baking soda to the paint

Stir it very well so there are no bubbles. Add more baking soda if you want more texture

It will start to bubble. You are going for a thick consistency.

Paint your soul away

Make simple strokes horizontally. I found that when you also make vertical brushstrokes it adds more of a ceramic look.

Mix different colors

I had so much fun mixing different paint colors, you can find more details about exact colors that I used on my blog.

my gorgeous bohemian mantel :)

Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
April

• Julie
    Julie

Love the moons..... How and what did you make those with.?

• Marla reiter
    Marla reiter

Do you use any finishing type of paint, acrylic, etc ?

• April
      April

I used paint samples from Behn, it’s a house paint

• Mary McDonald
    Mary McDonald

That’s a whole Lotta Terracotta! But very cute. Do you have these elements throughout your house or is this a ‘masterpiece’ of sorts? Stuff like this keeps me inspired. Thanks for posting!

• April
      April

Hi Mary! I like to decorate my mantel and switch it up all the time! So this was for my boho fall decor, but I love it so much, I’m planning to make more and have it throughout the house!