Create a Little Art in Your Bathroom

3 materials
$45

We have been doing a lot of DIY renovations to our home. When it came to our Master Bath, I really didn’t want to go to the expense of a huge remodel at this time, but I definitely knew that something had to be done to make the spa tub surround/skirt more appealing. It was really plain & honestly quite ugly.

As I sat on the edge of my bed & peered into the Master Bath, It came to me that the surround appeared to look more like framing than a skirt, so why not add a little art into the frames?

it turned out to be a really simple, unique & Inexpensive fix to the biggest eyesore in our Master Bath area.

Step one ... sand to prep wood for paint & wipe down afterwards

I sanded the wood by hand with a medium grade sandpaper of 120, then Followed up sanding once more with a finer grade sandpaper of 600 to smooth the wood after stripping the varnish from it with the sandpaper.

Once all the sanding was complete, I wiped down all the wood with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Step 2 ... prime & paint the frames

Next I primed & painted the frames around the areas that I planed to display art images in.

Step 3 ... add images

Next I began adding images to our tub surround. I had purchased 2 large wall paintings for this project. One was purchased at a local thrift store, and the other came from a neighborhood garage sale. Each of the 2 paintings were cut in half & sized to fit into side by side frames. This allowed me to only have to purchase 2 paintings instead of 4, and make each set into separate yet complete paintings. Once the paintings were sized, I painted the backs of the paintings with glue & placed them into the frames. After the paintings were glued into place. I glued another very small strip of white wood just on the inside of the frame & on top of the paintings to give each one a more finished look.

Final product ... looks so much better than old Surround

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

3 of 44 comments
Next