Repair expanded cupboards?

Agnes ChrzanowskaChas' Crazy CreationsKen Erickson
+16

I feel like this could be a common one but I’ve just moved into a rental flat with damaged cupboard doors (see pics). Any advise on what to do?

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

You could cover with removable contact paper

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Glenys, it depends how much you are willing to do, you can sand them down and patch the areas with filler then paint he same color, that would be the best and the landlord will not mind that at all, or just put a temporary fix on them by gluing the loose pieces back down and putting a temporary cove on them like mactak/contact paper

• First, let the landlord know so you're not charged for the damage. Then ask him/her what can be done. Some landlords do not want their tenants doing any improvements. On the other hand, he/she may say, 'go ahead and fix it'. It looks like the top layer of laminate is lifting, so I would try regluing it first.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Yes, take pictures (as you have done for documentation and walk through in the beginning and end of your lease) and talk to the landlord. They may let you fix it-or not, it looks like cosmetic damage on the side edge. I would glue it back on and then apply those clear removable wall corner edges, cut length to fit. The bigger corner patch by the silver colored handle I would leave that alone.

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

Removable contact paper (or wallpaper) may do the trick!

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! Communicate with your landlord and find out what they are willing to let you do.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Checking with your landlord or lease might be the first wise thing to check out to see what your limitations are before proceeding

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Cover with contact paper or removable wallpaper. You might want to change hardware as well.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Rub the door down and re-paint! You may be able to re-touch the damaged parts only by using a matching artist Acrylic paint! Best of luck!

• Glenys
    Glenys

Thanks for the suggestions. The cupboards are a cheap wood base but the white cover is a thick hard plastic material. For that reason, I don’t think sanding would work in plastic? Landlord is fine with us changing things so not an issue. For those who have suggested gluing back down, do you know what kind of glue is best?

• Dee
    Dee

Great that the landlord is willing to let you refurbish the cabinets. I would peel the white plastic off as a last resort. You can use Loctite Grabber glue. I use it all the time. If you can get an even board, you can try to paint, but I think your best bet is to cover them with contact paper. Then go to DLawless and see what kind of handles you like or clean up the ones on the doors and spray paint with Rustoleum

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

Looks like the paint is coming off ask the landlord if you could paint it peel. The part they coming off or pull up and glue it back on

William

That is plastic laminate over particleboard. If the particle board has swelled from moisture and pushed the laminate up there really isn't a repair. If the laminated just unglued from the particleboard then you can use contact cement or gel super glue to glue it back. But to me it looks like the particleboard has swelled.

Betsy

Hi Glenys: First of all, take a picture of the ruined cabinets with a copy of that day's paper in the shot. Then tell the landlord about it and see if they will do anything. If not, then ask if you fix them will he/she take something off of the rent for doing so. Did you do a walk through before moving in? If not, ask for one now so that you can document any damages or irregularities. If he/she says you can fix them, then try using E-6000 glue. Put it on a tooth pick and shove it under the lifted area, smoosh it around and hold for about a minute and then maybe use some painters tape (the blue stuff) to hold it together over night. Good luck

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

You definitely have an issue with damp or a leak. Wood blows out like that when it gets wet.

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

You can repaint it if they give you permission

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

It looks like it is a Formica covered cheap fiber board to me. You can try heating the covering with a heat gun/hair dryer and then clamping the area. The other option is to not worry about it since you are in a rental.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

this is water damage ... you can sand it off and make sure to paint wiwth ater proof paing