Wat can i put in satin interior paint n primer to make it oilier/shini

Lindsay AratariMorgan McBrideCarrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
+15

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Anthony, I don't know of any additive you can add to satin paint to turn it glossy. What will help a little is if you buy a small can of the gloss version of your satin paint color and mix it with the stain. It won't be highly glossy but it will have a bit more sheen. Just make sure the paints are both water based or oil based. You could also paint over satin paint (once it's dry) with a clear gloss finish.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello,

You might consider adding a coat of Mod Podge Gloss over your paint when dried, but I don't know what would happen if you added it to the paint! I don't suppose it will be a cheap exercise and personally, I couldn't recommend it, better to buy the right paint for the finish you want rather than play around, unless you are going to treat it as an experiment!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

If you have painted and let it dry, you can paint a clear gloss finish to make it shiny.

Or:

Faux finishers make glaze by adding paint to a compatible binder. In the case of latex paint, a compatible binder might be commercial glazing liquid, poly-acrylic varnish or even waterborne polyurethane varnish, depending on the paint. For oil paint, use an oil-based glazing compound. A test is definitely in order before you mix an entire batch.

To make a gloss paint out of a flat one, pour an amount of glazing compound or varnish equal to about 10 percent of the volume of flat paint you have into a large container, add the paint and stir. Test the result and add more binder if the sheen isn't glossy enough. Do it incrementally, testing as you go, to avoid overdoing it and turning your paint into a semitransparent glaze.

ref:https://www.hunker.com/13412950/how-to-make-flat-paint-shiny

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

You might just have to do a top coat of a clear gloss.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello generally house paints are manufactured in a particular scene. If you’re paint doesn’t have the correction sheen desired you’re going to have to apply the topcoat sealer with the sheen that you desire.

I do this all time with my craft and traditional canvas painting projects they are aerosol topcoat sealer that one can use.

In large scale wall circumstances it’s going to be a little more enthusiastic and energetic to accomplish with hand brushing application.

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

Anthony: You can get a topcoat in many finishes.... satin, semi-gloss, high-gloss.

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

Confused because I didn't think primer comes in satin? I thought it is just the topcoat that comes in certain finishes. Regardless, I would use a glaze to mix with the paint. You can get a glaze from Benjamin Moore.

• Dee
    Dee

What did you paint that you want a shiny coat. If it is a piece of furniture. Get some General Finishes Top coat in gloss. If it is walls, you are going to have to repaint in a semigloss or high gloss. One coat should do the trick in the same color.

• You can coat it with a glossy water based sealer.

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

It would be easier to just by a glass paint. Which in my experience does not look very nice on walls. You will see all the brush and roller mark when the light hits it a certain angles.

• Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

Satin paint is meant to be more mat, if you pick semi gloss or gloss it'll be shinier.

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

You can use an extender ask your paint shop about extenders

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Anthony. You can make a final top coat with something like Mod Podge to get the glossy look you want. But, to be perfectly honest, you could use a semi gloss paint in the first place. It will give the gloss you want and it would be easier to keep it clean. Good luck Anthony. I hope you are well.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Anthony, hope this helps, you add it after

The paint should dry to a glossy finish. To achieve even more gloss, apply a high gloss varnish once the painting is finished and the paint is dry. There is a product by Liquitex that is both a gloss medium and varnish, so you could use it to mix with the paint as well as use it for a final coat of varnish.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would just go with a semi gloss paint instead (even if it costs more to buy new paint versus using what you have), it'll be less work and you won't have to paint over another whole layer (especially if it is an entire room you're working on!).

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

I don't think you can add anything, it's a different paint base

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

I would just use a semi gloss as the base is different for each kind of paint