How To Clean & Preserve Pumpkins For Fall

$10

If you are wondering how to make your painted fall pumpkins last longer you have come to the right place!

Can I let you in on a little secret?

It’s SO easy!

I have recently learned two amazing ways to preserve this fall staple and keep them looking great far past Halloween!

Moreover, doing these steps together will keep hungry critters away too. BONUS!

These methods are quick and use items you likely already have around the house.

The Bleach Soak Method To Make Pumpkins Last Longer

I used to think that simply washing a pumpkin was enough to make it last longer. For maximum preservation you need to go one step further. It’s easiest to use a bathtub. Alternatively, use your kitchen sink!

Fill your vessel with warm water and add 1 TBSP of bleach and a squirt of Dawn dish soap per gallon of water.Set a timer for 30 minutes while the pumpkins sit in their warm bubble bath.

When the timer goes off rinse the access suds off of your pumpkins and lay them on an old towel to dry.This step alone will keep your pumpkins from rotting for WEEKS!

If you want to go a step further add on step 2.

The Sealer Method To Make Pumpkins Last Longer

I love the look of piled up pumpkins on my fall front porch.

However, I happen to live in a rural neighborhood where squirrels and raccoons like to enjoy my pumpkins as a midnight snack.

If you also incur this common problem consider the sealer method!

And yes, I mean the sealer that I use to finish off a DIY project.

Take your clean, dry pumpkins outside and line them up on an old piece of plywood [or cardboard].

Grab a can of spray polycrylic and a comfort grip for ease of use. I think the clear satin finish is the perfect sheen!

Spray the pumpkins on one side. Allow to dry, then flip over to the other side. Do two coats for the best protection.

Bonus: A Painted Pumpkin DIY Tip

I consider myself to be an avid DIY’er. I also love the look of painted pumpkins. If you are considering painting pumpkins this fall be sure to save step #2 for post-paint. I may or may not have learned this the hard way.

Check out this post to see the tutorial on my ombre painted pumpkin technique.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Kera @hautehouselove

• JoAnne
    JoAnne

Can you tell me the colour/brand of the paint on your door. I love it!

• Dyier
    Dyier

Toxic Chemical reaction to mix bleach and dawn!