How to Napkin Decoupage Pumpkins

$4

PUMPKINS ARE A FAVORITE WAY TO DECORATE FOR FALL AND I'VE COLLECTED MY FAIR SHARE OVER THE YEARS. SEVERAL OF MINE ARE CHEAP, DOLLAR STORE VERSIONS, WHICH HAVE RECEIVED SEVERAL COATS OF PAINT OVER THE YEARS. WHEN I FOUND SOME CUTE FALL NAPKINS, I DECIDED TO DECOUPAGE SOME OF THESE CHEAP PUMPKINS FOR A CUTE, UPDATED LOOK.

Today I'm sharing how easy it to make Napkin Decoupage Pumpkins. In addition, there are couple of tips that I learned which will save you from making the same mistakes.

Supplies
  • Faux Pumpkins
  • Mod Podge
  • Paper Napkins
  • Paint Brush
Prepare the napkins

The first step is to separate your napkins. Most paper napkins are three ply and all three layers need to be separated to begin.

A friend shared a tip to make separating the napkins much easier. Simply apply a piece of tape to the napkin along the edge and gently lift the layers apart. Why didn't I think of that? LOL

Cut Napkin

here are a few options for this next step. You can choose to cut a design out from the napkin and apply the design randomly on the pumpkin or you can cut the napkin into sections to apply all over the entire pumpkin. In addition, you can place a hole in the center of the napkin to allow the stem to pass through and basically drape the napkin over the pumpkin.

Because I wanted the design to completely cover the pumpkins, I choose to cut the napkin into sections.

APPLY MOD PODGE

Now you are ready to begin applying the napkin to the pumpkin. Using a paint brush apply the mod podge over the surface of the pumpkin. If you are working with a larger pumpkin, you should do this in sections to avoid the glue drying.

Apply Napkin in sections

Next begin placing the napkin pieces onto the pumpkin being sure to press the napkin into the creases of the pumpkin in order to maintain it's shape.

Brush over Napkin surface

Using the paint brush and mod podge, you can continue to smooth the napkin by brushing gently.

Allow to Dry

Once your pumpkin is dry, you may desire another coat of mod podge to preserve the pumpkin for future seasons.

Important Tip

I was so excited about these cute sunflower napkins and thought I'd put them on all the pumpkins. Unfortunately, they didn't looks so great on the small pumpkins. After making a couple, I quickly removed the original napkin and mod podge because they were not very pretty.

So it's important to consider is the scale of the pattern on your napkin compared to the size of your pumpkin. I found that a large scale print, such as the sunflower pattern, works best on a larger pumpkin. A smaller scale pattern works much better on the smaller pumpkins. I will share both versions.

Large Scale Pumpkin with Sunflowers

The sunflower pumpkins dried beautifully and had a velvet appearance when displayed.

Small Pumpkins look better with a small scale print napkin

The smaller pumpkins were covered in a small scale fruit napkin and I couldn't resist making several to display together in a wooden dough bowl.

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse