I've Been Framed!!

$30

My builder-grade mirror was terrible. Not only did it look cheap, but had some chips on the edges. Since I re-did my bathroom on a budget (see my other posted project!)

https://www.hometalk.com/44341071/inexpensive-bathroom-re-do-in-the-colorado-mountains?cid=8491359%3Fcid%3D8491359 ---tell me what you think! :-)

...I did an inexpensive "fix" for the mirror. Here are my steps.

Measure Twice, Cut Once

Measure the mirror and decide how you want the frame to fit. Use a chop saw (I wish!) or miter box to cut 45 degree angles -- to piece the frame together.

A "Problem"

The mirror had raised "diamond" plastic screw-in clips to attach it to the wall. I had to find a way to accommodate the back of the frame.

Sand!

I took course sandpaper and smoothed down as much as I could -- without compromising the integrity of the clip.

A Solution!

I used brown craft paint to dot each clip. I used the wet paint in the following way...

The Sweet Spots

You can see the brown paint dots... where I would have to hollow out the trim... to make it flush with the mirror.

Use Box Cutter

...to cut a rectangle around each brown spot

Starting to Chip

I used a hammer and 1/4" chisel.

"Well Chiseled"

I chiseled out an area that would accommodate the mirror clip(s)

The Back of Trim

...hollowed out -- and ready for mounting

FYI: you DO have to paint the back of the trim... It's for a MIRROR!!

Liquid Nails!

I used only one tube for the entire four sides of the mirror.

Tape!

The Liquid Nails needed to dry for 4-6 hours. I used blue tape to secure to mirror.

All Four Sides!

(then I went to bed)

...green tape too! ;-)

Imperfect Miter

OK... I am not hiding anything! My miter was not perfect. ...and I needed to sand down a glop of paint on edge... then fill the seam with some caulk (or wood filler.) Repaint area if necessary. (It was!)

Caulk

I also caulked between the inside frame edge and mirror... just to smooth things out. ...then, once dry, I (later) used a razor blade to give a clean line of caulk.

YIPPEE!

Mission accomplished!

"Before"

O.M.G.  (see my project on the completion of this bathroom!) "Inexpensive Bathroom Re-Do"

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

I agree with everyone who has said that mitre corners are hard to cut exactly.

The accuracy of framing mitre cuts depends to a certain extent on the quality of the mitre saw, the sharpness of the blade, the stability of the saw. A mitre

box was used in this project which is generally not as precise as a mitre saw.

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

True. I just did my best!