Create an Amazing Moroccan Fish Scale Tile

$20

I love working on new projects and creating exciting pieces. That’s why I couldn’t wait to get started on making a fish scale mosaic tile! If you are looking for a unique piece to add to your aesthetic, this is the one! Follow my easy, step-by-step tutorial and get started on creating these amazing tiles which are made from 3 simple ingredients in your kitchen! This guide will show you all the tips and tricks to creating this beautiful mosaic masterpiece!

Tools and Materials:

• Flour
  • Salt
  • Water
  • Paint
  • Topcoat
  • Tile adhesive
  • Tile grout
Moroccan fish scale tile

Before getting started on these amazing Morrocan fish tiles, let’s take a look at the easy recipe. All you need is flour, salt, and warm water! The best part is that all these ingredients can be found in your kitchen! 

Mix ingredients
Mix ingredients together

I started by pouring my flour and salt into the mixing bowl. I slowly started pouring my water in, mixing as I poured. A good tip is to use warm water as It makes it much more pleasant to touch the dough! I mixed the ingredients until I got a playdough consistency. 

Roll it out
Roll out the dough

With my pliable dough at the ready, I added a bit of flour to my surface and smoothed out the dough using my rolling pin. I rolled the dough until it was about an eighth of an inch. 

Fish scale mosaic tile
Cut out the dough

To get the shape I needed, I used a square, wooden panel and cut around it. 

Use a cookie cutter

I then used these fantastic little cookie cutters to help create the Moroccan tile shape. 

Faux fish scale tiles
Bake the tiles

I popped the little cut-outs onto a baking tray and was ready to put them in the oven. I started by baking them at 150 degrees celsius for about 15-20 minutes. I then made sure to check that they didn’t have any bubbles. If the dough does bubble you can always use a kebab stick to pop them and then flatten them down.

Create the pattern
Create the mosaic pattern

This next step is where all the fun begins! My mosaic pieces were out of the oven and rock hard so I moved up to my studio. I started by putting the mosaic puzzle together on a wooden box. I placed the tiles, trying to create the desired look. 

Paint the pieces
Paint the mosaic tiles

I am always drawn towards blue shades but you can choose whichever color you like for your mosaic. I used three different Dixie Belle shades of blue and started painting my pieces. The paint doesn’t have to be perfect because we are trying to create a ceramic look. I decided to add a few more colors and ended up painting some tiles with acrylic paint using pink shades and some purple shades too. I love playing with different colors and paint techniques and in this project, it’s recommended!

Salt dough mosaic tiles

To give the tiles a bit of extra gloss and protection, I used a topcoat. Any topcoat will do the trick!

Add tile adhesive
Add adhesive

I carefully took my tiles off the wooden panel and placed them in the same order I had set earlier. I started spreading tile adhesive over the top of the panel. It’s better to be generous with the adhesive!

Salt dough tiles
Stick on the tiles

I carefully placed the tiles on the adhesive in the order I had made earlier. Once I was happy with the look, I pushed them as deep into the tile adhesive as they could go. I then left the adhesive to dry overnight.

Add grouting
Add grouting

I mixed together some grouting until it was a peanut butter consistency and began to add it between the tiles. I left the piece to dry for another 24 hours. It’s very important to have sealed the tiles before adding grouting to this mosaic. 

Wipe off the grouting

Once the grouting had dried, I used a damp sponge to wipe off any excess grouting on the tiles. I loved seeing the colors shine through again in this step! I gave my tiles one extra coat of gloss because I can’t get enough shine and it really gave them a perfect finish! 

Fish scale tile

I absolutely adore these amazing Moroccan fish scale tiles! Where would you put these in your home? Let me know in the comments below! 

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Fiona Debell

• Mitchmom
    Mitchmom

That is truely a beautiful idea. What if you push them close together after baking and cooling, and paint a picture of some kind on them. When you grout them it would be so interesting.

FYI: If you seal them really well before you grout them, so you get the sides, you should be able to use them as a backsplash.

• Pol
    Pol

I could imagine all sorts of variations on this theme - I would just be a little worried that they might dent or chip in some situations? However, what a great idea!!