Save Your Empty Vinyl Rolls and Make Spooky Faux Candles

$0

As a Maker, sometimes I save things without knowing why. Such was the case with empty vinyl rolls. Follow along in this post to see what I did with them! The best part of this project? The cost! $0.

Gather Your Supplies

I gathered my empty vinyl rolls, glue gun and glue sticks, paints and Rub n Buff.

Step 2: Make Your Candle "Drips"

Go around the top of the roll with hot glue and drizzle randomly down the sides. Make your "candles" as drippy as you like. No rules!

Step 3: Paint

Once the hot glue is dry, paint with acrylic paint ( I used Craftsmart from Michaels in white). You can do as many coats as you like. I did two.

Step 4: Dry Brush

I did want these to look old and haunted so I dry brushed some black and a little silver. I didn't care about the residual grooves in the craft rolls because I just went with them adding depth and character!

Step 5: Accent With Rub n Buff

As with the Upcycled Candleholders I shared in a separate post, I accented some of the wax drips with Antique Gold Rub n Buff just to make them more dimensional.

Step 6: (Optional)

I was playing around and figure out that the candle from a tea light fight perfectly inside some of the vinyl rolls. I won't burn these of course but it adds to the authenticity of the look I think.

Step 7: Display!

NOTE: While you can use empty paper towel rolls I liked the density of the craft rolls.

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Carol

• Lilith
    Lilith

What are Vinyl rolls? googled it, nothing.

• Carol
      Carol

Hi Lilith...Sorry for the confusion. I make a lot of projects using my Cricut / Silhouette digital cutting machines. These are the empty tubes I've saved once I'm done with the vinyl. Basically like a heavier paper towel tube. More here: