Book Page Horse

$10

With this project, I’m wondering if I will have people cringing and asking “What was she thinking?” I have waffled between loving it and hating it myself.

Years ago, I used to make carousel horses from old Wonder Horses. That really isn’t my style anymore, but I still have several Wonder Horses just hanging out in my barn. I pulled out a few of them and cleaned them up. I was determined to come up with something new…something that didn’t scream “nursery” decor…something a little more decorative for any room in the house…something…I decided to cover one with book pages.

I glued pieces of newspaper over the holes. This may seem like a pretty thin covering, but with the addition of the Mod Podge and layers of book pages, the finish over the holes was really quite strong.

I also painted the entire horse with an ivory colored paint. I realized too late that this really wasn’t necessary. I have covered things with book pages before and you can’t see through them.

Now for the decoupaging marathon. Full sheets of the book pages were just not going to work. I simply tore them into smaller pieces and layered them on. I also watered down my Mod Podge. It seemed to go on a lot easier that way. There are a lot of curves, bumps and indentations on a horse. I saturated the book pages really well, then molded them into, onto and around all of the obstacles. About a third of the way done, my back, shoulders and neck were on fire. I had come too far…I would recover later…I was not going to give up.

“Was that what you were going for?”

“What are you going to put over the newspaper?”

“Huh?”

These were the responses I got from my family of guys when I asked them what they thought of it. Hmm…

Oh well, I had put too much work into it to call it a fail…yet. I decided to wipe on a brown stain. I liked the way it unevenly aged the surface. Yep, the unevenness of the stain was done on purpose…because I said so. I applied a sealer over the whole thing. Okay, I still wasn’t happy until…

I staged a few pics. Sitting on a drop cloth in the middle of torn paper…well, in that setting, it looked horrible. Placed in a more decorative venue, I didn’t think it looked too bad. Here it is on top of a hutch. I’m thinking some leather or greenery would have looked nice too, but unfortunately I didn’t review my photos until after I had put everything away.

I kinda like it’s rustic charm.

I gave it one last trot in the fields.

So…I’ve decided to love it…but I won’t be making another one like it.

Enjoy!

• Wonder horse  (yard sale)
  • Paint  (Walmart)
  • Mod Podge  (Walmart)

23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Cyndee~Restyled-Junk

• Kelly-n-Tony
    Kelly-n-Tony

It's kinda cool outside. Maybe nestled among some flowers?

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
    GeorgiaBulldogsFan

I have my children’s rocky horse upstairs that was purchased in 1979. When I bought it, I had the option of buying the smallest version or the largest version for the same price which was $29.95. So I bought the largest. Have been trying to decide to do something else with it. This idea intrigued me. Do you think it possible to have the horse on his rear feet secured somehow and have him rearing up with front legs in the air? And possibly reusing part of the stand to hold it up? Like a piece of sculpture. I’ve added a picture of mine. Not bad looking for 41 years old.

• KB
    KB

I love this! Trying to think of a medieval book to employ in the project that has a lot of horses and maybe knights in armour for the close inspectors! Personally, I think you should pat yourself on the back or maybe get a massage...

• Deb
    Deb

I love it! For Christmas I would put a wreath around it’s neck.