Firestarter Pine Cones (Beautiful Gift!)

$17

It's the season for being cozy! And who wouldn't love a basket of these beautiful fire starters for their campfires? If you are looking for a stunning gift that's simple to make, then make a batch of these (they are so easy!).

The wax and pinecones act as natural kindling to help get fires going in a fire pit or campfire. (Yes, they can be used in an indoor fireplace. But you might not want the wax or sap from the pinecones building up in your fireplace. Just an FYI.)

Package them up in a basket, or wrap individually in cellophane, for a great gift. Perfect hostess gift!

Supplies
  • 8-10 pine cones
  • 6 cups of grated beeswax
  • Essential oil (pick your favorite)
  • Candle coloring or natural dye
  • String 
Tie a Hanging Loop

Take about 1 foot of string and wrap it around the pine cone. Tie it at the top with a loop.

Example

Here's what it should look like. It makes it easier to dip.

Dip in Wax

Melt the beeswax in a saucepan that you don’t mind getting waxy. Once the wax is melted portion out into disposable tin bowls and add coloring and essential oil. You will need about 6 drops of essential oils per bowl.

(A cinnamon essential oil would be nice!)

Dip the pine cones in and let dry between coats. I did two coats and that worked well for me. 

Let dry on a parchment lined tray

Use as a Fire Starter

Carefully toss one pine cone into a fire that you are getting ready to burn.

Always be careful around the fire. The wax and pine cones will help the fire to start faster, so be careful. And pine cones can pop in a fire, sending little bits flying, so be sure to have a screen up.

More Quick and Simple Gift Ideas

I love simplicity when it comes to making gifts. As long as they look great!

Which is why I think you'll love these decorative wooden spoons made with tape. You can buy most of the supplies at the dollar store.

And check out my huge round up of Quick and Easy Christmas Crafts!

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Perfectly Round Tables
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Single Girl's DIY

• Linda
    Linda

Can you use paraffin instead of wax

• Kim
    Kim

How long does it take for the wax to dry?

• Patinbr
    Patinbr

Does anyone know if it is possible to open up pedals on closed pine cones? I am not able to find the large pine cones here in Baton Rouge. I would love to have someone ship me a box full and I will pay for shipping. They need to be at least 7 inches tall w/ pedals open

• Bobbie Miller
      Bobbie Miller

Pine cones usually close up when they get wet. If you are in a hurry put them in the oven and bake for about 2 hrs at 200degrees.I find some of them do not open all the way. I do have some large ones if you are interested..Let me know if still interested

• Jennie Gleason
    Jennie Gleason

Thanks

• Miranda
    Miranda

I think I would just spray paint them different colors and put in basket. I've had a bag of pinecones I purchased about 2 years ago (don't know why I bought them) but now you gave me an idea to paint them.. I'll put them outside :)