Rustic Concrete Stools

$16

Vintage farmhouse concrete stools - the legs are detachable, which I like but might not be your thing. Use as a plant stand or side table, not for human sitting.

Final product
Materials for this project

Measure and scoop concrete into bucket

I made the bigger one by filling the lowes bucket to the 2.5" line. The little one was made using a smaller tupperware container.

Tip: using a mug to scoop is so much easier than using a red solo cups

(Optional: rub oil around the bucket to make it easier to free the stool once the concrete has set)

slowly add water to the concrete mix

I just eyeballed it. You don't want it soupy, cause the concrete will be weak and may fall apart. If you buy the 10lb packets of concrete mix, it'll give you a more specific amount of water to add. When you're done adding water and mixing, gently tap the sides to get rid of bubbles.

Position your dowels and put them into the wet concrete mix

Again, I eyeballed the placement and stuck them about 1.5" into the mix, while it's still wet and hasn't set. Then wait at least 24h for the concrete to set before trying to remove the stool from the bucket!

Free your stool

The scariest part! Turn that stool upside down and GENTLY tap on the sides to free it from the bucket.

Stain the legs

I used a wire brush to age the legs and stained them using minwax special walnut stain. But you can do whatever you want.

Tiny stool

Since I made the smaller stool in tupperware, I had to creatively prop the legs up while the concrete set. If I could redo this, I would've gotten a round 2 gallon bucket.

Invest in a 2 gallon bucket

You can see indentations from the tupperware on the little guy, but it's still pretty cute.

For this stool, I stained the legs and applied white wax to soften the finish.

The 3rd stool with white wax finish

As I've mentioned, the legs are detachable, but the stool is still sturdy. This one holds my heavy monstera.

The legs will not remain attached to the concrete!

Using this method, the legs are not permanently attached to concrete top and will detach over time (or constantly moving them for photos  ). There are other methods using wire to wrap around the dowels before placing them in the concrete mix that will help keep them attached, but I don't mind that they come apart - made it easier for moving!

I've made 3 of these now. Find me on instagram @percivalinbloom for more styling and projects!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space

• N. G. Londonderry
    N. G. Londonderry

I meant how are the legs “ detachable?”

• Van|percivalinbloom
      Van|percivalinbloom

Using this method, the legs don't stay attached to the concrete top. There are other methods using wire that will keep the legs more permanently adhered to the concrete. Hope that helps!

• Kelly-n-Tony
    Kelly-n-Tony

The bottom looks like you threw rocks in on the cement because normally cement is smooth. Is that something you did?

Why don't the legs stay in the cement? Does that mean it's not safe to sit on?

• Van|percivalinbloom
      Van|percivalinbloom

It's actually concrete, which is a mix of rocks and cement. The sakrete brand mix I got had a lot of rocks. I'm not sure if all brands are like that, but the rocks strengthen the concrete.

The legs don't stay probably because the wood doesn't bind strongly to the concrete. That'd be my guess.

I absolutely would not trust sitting on these stools! I use them as a side table for coffee or as a plant stand.

• Wanda greene
    Wanda greene

I’m going to try this one! Thank you for sharing. I was thinking about what I could add to the bucket to put a design in the concrete...... a wooden medallion for the top? Rope hot glued to the sides of the bucket? It would leave a nice pattern in the top. Just wondering if you have tried anything like that?

• Wanda greene
      Wanda greene

Thank you. I wasn’t thinking about that of course..... 😬😳