Laminant Staircase Upgrade

$300
Advanced

Quarantine 2020 has turned into Home Renovation Quarantine for us. We replaced our entire second floor carpeting with laminant flooring. Then we were faced with the dillema of what to do with the remainig front and back stairs. The front curved staircase , pictured below was tiled (see link for project details). I really like how the front tile staircase turned out but it was labor intensive and a bit expensive for our backstairs. So we agreed that laminant stairs was a good option, using the same material we had used on the upstairs flooring.

front curved staircase 

Upstairs flooring
Remove Carpet

Start by removing carpet, nail boards, nails(from the nail boards that had secured the carpeting) and staples

Cut/Measure Laminant for every stair

Measure Each Step by Width/Heigth of both Step and Face – our stairs were not perfectly square, so each cut was a little different. Yes, this took a long time… We used one and a half boards per surface, then bullnose on the edge of each step. Depending on the bullnose you use, it will vary how much space you will need at the edge of each step for the metal strip and bullnose.

Bullnose

Sorry for the poor picture, but this is the bullnose metal strip that goes on the edge of every step and helps to anchor the bullnose. Under the bullnose, theres a metal strip that is screwed down to the wooden stair (top of step). Then the laminant pieces are glued with liquid nails. Allowing to dry at least 24 hours before anyone walks on them.

Finished Pic from upstairs
Finished Pic from downstairs

Here’s a look at the finished stairs, we love how it turned out. The bullnose on the front of each stairs really adds a nice look and added traction.

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Flawless Chaos

• Joe kraus
    Joe kraus

The effect is nice, but I'd have to imagine that the moulding which sticks out above the edge of each tread could be potentially hazardous. Have you had any trips or falls due to this? Thanks.

• Michelle Marley Meier
      Michelle Marley Meier

agree with the trip hazard. I've seen it done this way before, in fact one of my friends did it, and the stairs are very difficult to navigate. I ended up going down the stairs sideways so I could have my feet flat on the stairs. I do not recommend this method of install. Other methods are expensive though, like others have pointed out.

• Julie
    Julie

Could you explain what bullnose is for the sake of us amateurs?

• Jaggwire
      Jaggwire

It "closes" the inevitable gap left where the two pieces of laminate meet. If it were real wood, one could sand the edges and apply finish. Laminate will not hold up if done that way in a high-traffic area.

In fact, the resulting edges would be far more dangerous than the bulldog finish.

• Elizabeth Carey
    Elizabeth Carey

I have a teenage boy who thumps up and down stairs with carpet! Will this not be a lot noisier?

• Jaggwire
      Jaggwire

Yep. Not the stairs' fault. I reminded my kids their joints are "feeling" what I hear on the stairs (joint issues later!).

• Laura
    Laura

Yes this is the perfect solution for my stair upgrade. And please note I don't see how this would be a tripping hazard as long as the tread is wide enough for natural foot placement going up and down.

• KA
    KA

Laminate. 1670s, "action of beating into thin plates," noun of action from laminate (v.). Meaning "any layer of laminated substance" is from 1858; meaning "process of manufacturing laminated products" is from 1945.

• Flawless Chaos
      Flawless Chaos

Not sure where you are going with this...but...The name of this project is "Laminant"....the flooring product.