Resin Tray for Resin Lovers

$60

i bought from a garage sale 2 folding tray. you know those Old style wooden tray. I like them, I found them so functional and easy to store. But thought, I wanted to style them on my family room. So, I thought about a little upgrade.

here what I did;

Before
Preparing the tray

i cleaned the tray with a simple cloth before working on them.

Because it was my first time working with resin, I didn’t make a video. I thought that I wasn’t ready for that. But next time I’ll make a video with the full process.

Working with resin

Yes my friend, I decided to work with resin, and this is my Latest new hobby. I’ve got 1000 ml of resin as a gift, and I was so exited to work with it. You know the resin is not that cheap so thank you Aimee for the gift.

how to work with resin:

1. 50/50 of the resin and hardener, that’s means Always equal quantity of each of them.
  2. stir the mixture for 2 minutes
  3. work quickly with it because it tents to harden fast.

I ordered on amazon the pigments. And they are just amazing. If you are interested it is ROLIO MICA POWDER.

Resin ROLIO MICA POWDER

Mixing the colors

i used dark blue, turquoise, yellow, dark grey and white. Some gold leaf for fun.

1. the pigment should be 10% of the mixture
  2. divide the resin in small cups
  3. stir well and start pouring on the designed surface

Pouring the resin

i poured the resin randomly, i let it set for 15 min before touching it.

then, I passed kind of stick or flat spatula in between the different colors to make it more homogeneous or whatever look you want to looks like.

Bobbling

With a torch, I went quickly over the resin to get rid of any bubbles. Then, with a hair dryer (right tool is a heat gun, but I don’t have one) hair dryer was working good for me. So, I tried to heat the resin so I can control the flow and how I want the shape.

meanwhile, I was tilting the tray left and right, up and down to actually make a beautiful abstract design.

Curing

I had to leave the resin cure (dry) for 24 hours in a flat even area. Very important to be in a flat place, because the resin have to dry evenly. Use a level to make sure it’s even.

Final result
After

see you next time with a next project.

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine

• Patty
    Patty

I have some tv trays I want to do this to, however they do not have a frame around them. Anyone have any ideas how to do it??

• Nancy
      Nancy

Look at other resin projects, Hometalk has featured quite a few, to get ideas on different techniques. You could do an online search, especially on youtube.

• Renata
    Renata

I have this same tray but no legs, did urs come with legs or did u put these on?

• Hinda
      Hinda

Nice, I didn’t knew about this story. Thank you.

• Em
    Em

Thinking the legs in the same shade of the resin would make the tray stand out with the border of the wood. Looks great with the bottle.

• OldNana
    OldNana

I've been planning to try this with my old, scratched TV trays. Mine have legs but no frame. I'll tie plastic around the legs to make a skirt, then let the resin drip over the sides. Wish me luck.