Dollar Tree Metal Pumpkin

$12

Using Dollar Tree items to make a cute pumpkin planter to decorate your home! I placed mine on our Dining room table.

Hey there! Welcome to Decorate and More with Tip! Welcome, so happy to have you here! If you have followed my blog, you know the first Wednesday of the month I host a DIY Challenge. I gathered a group of bloggers who also loves to create budget friendly décor for their homes.

For the October's challenge, I asked the girls for ideas on the theme for this challenge, they thought working with pumpkins would be perfect for this time of the year. At the bottom of my page I will have all of my friend's links to their blogs so you can go check out what they are doing with pumpkins.

For my pumpkin theme I am taking 8 Dollar Tree door hangers, 1 Dollar Tree pizza pan, 1 Dollar Tree wire candleholder, 1 ring binder, 8 nuts and bolts, and antique gold spray paint to make an adorable metal pumpkin.

How to make a wire pumpkin

Remove all the hooks from the labels.

Starting with the square hook part of the hanger straighten the top crease only, do this step to all 8 hangers.

I straighten out the hook part of the hanger (where you would place the wreath on) to less of a curve.

I gave the hanger a squeezed to give it more of a curve shape.

Sit the hangers to the side for now. Disregard the color and bad shape my pizza pan is in (I used this for another project) taking the pizza pan, ruler and pencil mark a dot at one edge. Use that mark as a guide to start marking lines resembling a cut pie. :)

I drilled where I marked the dots on the pizza pan and in the center of the straight end of the hanger.

I had 8 nuts and bolts on hand, mine are a little long for my project, but I don't mind they stick out I am covering over it anyhow. You might want to use smaller screws if you are purchasing them, I am using what I had on hand.

Attach the hanger to the pizza pan with the nuts and bolts, making sure you have the head of the bolt on the bottom and nut on top.

With needle nose pliers bend the top of the hanger curve into a curvature hook. You could do this in the first step of prepping the hangers.

To hold all the hangers in place I am using an album ring binder and hooking all the hangers to the ring.

For the stem I am using a Dollar Tree wire candle holder. I removed the plate off the base. Wiggling it back and forth broke the plate off.

Straitening out the legs of the base, shaping the piece to resemble a stem of the pumpkin. I formed two of the wires into a shape of an outside curvature and two wires inside curvature.

Apply E6000 to the end of each wire and place it on top of the pumpkin with the wires on the outside of the ring. I pinched the ends toward the ring to keep secured.

To finish it up, I am giving the whole pumpkin two coats of Rust-oleum Antique gold spray paint.

Making a centerpiece with the metal pumpkin planter

Begin with greenery and insert into the wire pumpkin making sure the greenery covers the bottom.  I draped over the sides of the pumpkin as well.

And that's it! An inexpensive Fall decoration to make and I love how you can add whatever you want inside the planter to make it your own. Wouldn't this look cute on top of an urn? Decorating with this could be a lot of fun.

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Decorate and More with Tip

• Linda
    Linda

Don't you mean bolts instead of screws?

• Lisa Evans
      Lisa Evans

The ring holding the hooks of the hanger on the top looks about 2 inches in diameter to me. Hope that helps.

• Tammy Ellis
    Tammy Ellis

What size is the ring from the binder? It looks like it would have to be larger to fit all of the ends.

This is a great idea!! I like things that take some time and this is perfect for that, I think. How long did it take to make it? How do you keep the pan/bolts from scratching the table?

thanks!!

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

What ate the little tea light wire candle holders from Amazon for??

• Lilith A. Bunni
      Lilith A. Bunni

I'm not sure what you're referring to? There's something similar from dollar tree that's listed. They can be used for the wire I think for the pumpkin stem