Modern Basket Weaving

$15

You can update a tin canister, an old vase, a metal container, etc by doing a modern basket weave with your favorite ribbons and some cheap fabric cording.

I can't pass up a good deal! I bought three of these white metal containers from Target years ago on clearance. I have used them to store toys, drinks, towels, and odds and ends.

I decided to do a project and find a way to update these. A little back story, I was able to go on a trip to Europe in 2019 and on our way back we stayed a couple days in New York to get use to the time change before we came home to three of our young kids. While we were in New York walking around, we came across an outdoor market and there were these amazing weaved baskets that I would have LOVED to buy but like I said we were in New York, walking around and there was no way I was going to be able to walk around with one these huge baskets and have enough luggage space from our Europe treasures to bring back one of these baskets. This is where I got my inspiration...

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some different size, color, texture, and patterned ribbons and many yards of fabric cording and lots of glue sticks!

I started by spreading out my ribbons and gluing them to the bottom of my container.

After I glued down the ribbons, I started with gluing down my fabric cording behind one of the ribbons and going in basket weave pattern of gluing behind one ribbon then gluing in front of the next ribbon and so on all the way around the container.

Up close look at how I did...I would use my left hand to hold up the dotted ribbon, since on this weave the cording would be going in front of the ribbon.

I would add a little glue behind the ribbon to hold it in place.

Then pull the cording across the front and I would repeat this all the way around. See how every time I come around to this ribbon it goes in and out of the cording?

Here is an in progress photo so you can see how all the ribbons are rotating going in front or behind the cording. You do this all the way around until you come up to the top where you can glue just the cotton cording around the top to hide all the cut ribbons.

Since mine is a fairly large bucket I can use it for pillows, small blankets, towels, or as a laundry basket, etc.

Feel free to use whatever color combo of ribbons you would like and whatever size of container you want! You could wash out a can of corn and use the can as a pencil holder in your office, or dress up a large container and put some flowers in it. You really can dress up the most ordinary looking container and make it look fantastic for cheap! Just note, the smaller the container, the less ribbons you would use and be sure to use an odd number so the weaving works all the way around and use thinner ribbons if you are using a can from the pantry!

Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items

• Loretta
    Loretta

It looks great but I would think very time consuming. Maybe I’m not understanding the process

• Jane Hale
    Jane Hale

I’ve always wanted to do “real” basket weaving but this makes it look a bit easier. Great finished product here...👍🏼