Cottage Kitchen Refresh With Only Paint and Peel and Stick Backsplash!

$300

Our family bought and renovated our cottage on the lake over 20 years ago and some of the design choices reflect that. So this summer I wanted to give the cottage kitchen a refresh but on a budget!

This kitchen has had a couple different looks, mostly with wallpaper, but for the last few years this is what it has looked like, not this cluttered though – we started taking items out of the cabinets, but it makes for a better before right?

I used my favorite cabinet/furniture paint – Benjamin Moore’s Advanced Paint in Simply White. I decided to paint the island a dark blue/gray to play off the color of the lake and it’s perfect!

Once the paint was done it looked so much better! It was bright, and open and looked so fresh! 

Now time to do something with the backsplash. We wanted the look of tile but really didn’t want to actually do it. Also if I changed my mind in a few years I didn’t want to have to take it down!

I did some research and  SmartTiles stood out to me for quality and reviews. They also have gorgeous patterns! 

Using them is very simple. You simply peel that back and just put them on. You can easily cut around outlets and fixtures with scissors or an exacto knife.

Making sure you are keeping level, line them up and press! They really are super easy to install and look so good! What do you think?

What do you think? It's so bright and fresh in here now! I can't wait until next Spring to continue with more projects!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram for even more projects and DIY!

Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Tara Boettger

• Nana

Tara, you have done a fantastic job on your renovation. I love the simplicity but the end result is amazing. I noticed your pretty pendant light more and even your floors look good with the fresh clean update. Bravo!!! ;).

I just have one question; what makes the paint you used best in your opinion, I’d like to paint my cabinets too and it’s difficult to decide which paint to use. Thanks

• Linda Deckard

Can these be installed over existing tiles

• Mary

Where can you buy SmartTiles???

• Kelli Cook

Looks great! Now replace the linoleum floor....

• Ohiorn

I know what you mean. We had linoleum when we bought our house in '93 and it was there when I sold it '20. Never looked clean even after mopping. Th big ticket items always took away from kitchen remodeling.

• Lau48732332

I think it looks good and I like how it is budget friendly. I would add a narrow shelf above the line of tile and put some lake decor there so you don’t have just a big white space. Just a suggestion.