Planter Box

$50

We had some planter boxes in our front flowerbed that were made out of scrap wood from an old fence. While being beautiful, they weren’t terribly practical and started falling apart. So, I decided to build a box that would wrap around the existing ones and last much longer.

Before

To begin, I took a 4x4 cedar board and cut a 2”x2” section out of one corner.

After the cut

This is what it should look like. The larger portion will be the corners of my planter box.

Next I cut 2x6 cedar boards into 3 foot runs. To assemble, I just put two 4x4 (corner pieces) spaced apart with on of the small 2x2’s in the center to help brace the boards.

I used 2 1/2” wood screws to attach the boards. 2 screws per board held really well for me.

Once I had the front put together, I cut my side boards to about 24” so that they would cover my existing boxes and the back end would be up against the house.

Because this isn’t a true ‘box’ and I’m planning to basically set it around the existing boxes I left off the back. However, if you wanted a full box you would just repeat the steps to make the back side. 😊

After

Super simple project that will last much longer than my old boxes and I love the natural color of these cedar boards. Just beautiful.

Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring

• Holly Wildey
    Holly Wildey

Did you attach this to the house or does it just sit up against the house?

• MB
    MB

Is this just wrapping existing plants or is it somehow filled or raising other plants?

• Suzann
      Suzann

It is set around an existing planter that is already filled with dirt and existing plants.

• Everyday Edits
    Everyday Edits

Love it! I have same question as above. This hides the original box?! Love it

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Terrific! This is the first time I've seen a planter box up against a house - love how it looks so chunky! 😎

• AndradeTea
    AndradeTea

It looks terrific! Question: did you treat the wood with anything?