How to Make a DIY Mason Jar Organizer for a Bathroom

$10

If you have extra mason jars in your kitchen that you were thinking of throwing away, you might want to see how other people repurposed them for other uses. There are so many creative ways you could use them in your kitchen, bathroom, or around the house. You could use these jars for organizing small items or use them for house decor. For this tutorial, I made a simple DIY Mason Jar Organizer for the bathroom, to keep small items organized and readily available. For more info and pictures visit my website TheDIYPlan.com

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
Step 1 – Cut 1×12 Board

The instructions below on how to make one mason jar organizer, although I ended up making two of these. So if you’re planning to build more than one organizer, then you’ll need more material than what’s listed on this page.  

This bathroom wall organizer could be made from any type of wood or any size. It also depends on the mason jars that you have. If you have scrap boards or even smaller pieces that could be attached together to make one larger board, that will work just fine. Since I had a few 1×12 scrap boards, I used that to make this project.  

Take a 1×12 board and measure 16 inches from the edge of the board on the top and bottom. Then take a ruler or anything straight and draw the line across the board. To make the cut you could use a miter saw or a skill saw. If you’re using a skill saw, clamp the board to the workbench so that it doesn’t move and then make the cut. 

Step 2 – Mark the Location for the Jar Straps

For this project, I’m using three mason jars that are 3 1/4” round and 5” tall. The jars are attached to the board with two different U-shaped straps. I was not able to find the exact straps on Amazon but I do have a link in the materials list that shows similar straps. The smaller 3” strap will be placed around the top of the jar and the larger 3 1/2″ strap at the bottom. 

Determine the location and the height where the jars need to be placed and where the strap goes.

To place the 5” tall jars in the center, draw a horizontal line across the board that is 4” from the top and another line 4” from the bottom. Then mark the screw locations for each strap along the upper and lower horizontal line. Using either a scratch awl or a nail, push thru the marks making a dent in the wood. This will help you place the jars in the center once the board is stained. 

Step 3 – Sand the Board

Take a random orbital sander and sand the board on both sides including the edges and corner. First, use an 80 grid sand disc to remove any uneven spots and then use a 250 grid for making a smoother surface.

Step 4 – Pre-stain the board

If you’re using softwood like pine it’s a good idea to use pre-stain before applying the stain. Pre-staining the boards will prevent the stain from being blotchy. 

Step 5 – Stain the board

After the pre-stain, wait for about 20 min and then apply the stain. Again you could use a brush or a shop paper towel to apply the stain. I used Briarsmoke stain to stain the board.

Step 6 – Apply Polyurathane to Seal the Wood
Step 7 – Attach D-ring Hangers on the Back

Flip the board to the backside and measure 3″ from the top. Then measure 2” from the left and the right side. Take D-ring picture frame hangers and attach them with 1/2″ wood screws at those measurements. Make sure that both hangers are attached exactly the same distance from the top; otherwise, the board will not be leveled when hung on the wall. 

Step 8 – Spray Paint the Straps
Step 9 – Attach the Straps and Mason Jars to the Board
Step 10 – Attach the Jar Organizer to the Wall

Hold the jar organizer board against the wall at the elevation you want it to be attached. Then make a small pencil mark on the drywall at the top corners of the board. From the pencil mark, measure 3” down and 2” from the left and right side. Basically, you’re transferring the D-ring hanger measurements from the board to the wall. 

Next, screw-in the drywall anchors into the drywall to match the hanger locations of the board. Now you could hang your DIY Mason Jar Organizer on the wall in your bathroom.

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
TheDIYPlan

• Ebo49688256
    Ebo49688256

apsI would like to know were to get the straps?

• A
      A

I think they are called "hose clamps." I saw this on a similar project post.

• Tessa
    Tessa

Please answer - where do you get the straps? What's the original purpose for which they're created (plumbing, electrical, etc). Amazon doesn't show this kind of strap. Thank you!

• Bry
      Bry

Much more attractive than any hose clamps I've been able to find in my search. Sure wish I knew where to find them.

• Cheryl Burroughs Gillespie
    Cheryl Burroughs Gillespie

In the video he used u shaped wire to attach the jars, where can get those?

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

I love this idea of having a hanging jar especially if you have young children. You can put their name on each jar and they know where their toothpaste and toothbrush belong. Thanks for sharing.

• Bry
    Bry

I've seen this kind of thing before but yours, with those attractive clamps, looks so much better. Nicely done!