What should i do?

Agnes ChrzanowskaFlipturnUnique Creations By Anita
+19

*** it's not a dining chair. Sits way to low!! And I know the cushion is missing***I got this really cool chair at a sale. Torn on what to do with it. I can't find much info so can't date it. So should I just do whatever or keep it close to original?

William

Looks like a Mid Century modern chair. Might be a vanity chair. Also looks like the cushion is missing due to the care tag showing. You could clean the wood and reupholster it. Or reupholster and paint the wood.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. I would do whatever suits your personal preference and decor aesthetic. Ultimately it has to please you as well as be functional

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I also think that's a vanity chair. What you choose to use it for, and how you finish it is totally up to your taste and what you want to use it for. For a vanity I have, I would upholster it in a beautiful vintage look fabric or a piece of an old quilt and paint the chair a pretty color that picks out a color from the fabric. I love shades of blue, so I would start there. What's your favorite color?

• I don't believe you will harm the value of the chair by doing what you like. Refinish the wood or paint it and recover the seat. It will be beautiful!

Betsy

Hi Crystal: I'd reupholster it and wax the wood really good. You can take the covering off, very carefully, and use it as a pattern for your new material, adding at least a couple of inches to accommodate any extra padding you might want to put on. If you paint it, you diminish any value it may have, but reupholstering it shouldn't hurt it all that much. Good luck

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

How high is the chair seat?

If it is not lower than a conventional dining chair then it most likely is not a vanity chair, as vanities were generally a lower height than dining tables.

My guess is that it is your chair is one of a former dining room set.

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Hmmm, Interesting.....

I am wondering if the bottoms of the legs might show any evidence of having been cut shorter so that the chair could be used with a vanity, or like you say, a child's chair possibly for a small desk, or maybe a chair for a reader to sit on while reading picture book stories to small kids sitting on the floor?

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Crystal, she's got beautiful bones. No wonder you snapped her. I would make her a new cushion, possibly using some decadent white fut and then paint her frame. The back might be tricky, but this tutorial will show you how to tackle the cane back - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIXMCp3WEc

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Crystal,

Well, If it was a dining chair there would have been a set of maybe Six/Eight, but as you only have the one. Decide where you want it to be used and make it suit in what ever way is required. Colour Varnish/Wax or Paint or Upholster the choice is yours! Have fun.!!

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

Oh what a cool chair! I would sand it down, paint it and re-upholster. I would probably replace the cushion as well.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Start with a good cleaning, sand it down and refinish. Then start on the seat and reupholster it with a fabric of your choice. The back looks to be in good condition, it will be beautiful when done.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Based on what I've seen, I don't think the seat cushion is original but is some type of base and a cushion goes on top. Most likely a fake velvet This type of rattan was very popular in the 1970's so that's my best period guess. I would do whatever would work in your decor unless you are going to try and re-sell it.

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

I would get creative with this, perhaps spray paint it a fun color or add a colorful seat to it.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

I'd do what matches your home. Paint if you prefer!

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello again Crystal,

Sorry didn't see the bottom of the chair. If this is an original and not cut down chair, it would be a "Nursing Chair" for Mothers to feed baby! or it could be a "Bedroom Chair" Same info would apply as before!

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Again Crystal,

This could also be a Prayer chair. and would have been knelt on and hands clasped in prayer on the top of the back rail if it has one. It is very difficult to say for certain. One would need to see the entire chair from a little distance and from all directions

• Em
    Em

Looks like it may have already been painted. The indentation looks like a round cushion sat on top of it. If you care about the price of it, you will depreciate the value if you restore it. If you just love it and want to enjoy it. Paint, stain, recover do what ever makes your heart happy.

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

Could it be like the old fashioned valet chair. Jacket on the back polished shoes on the bottom.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Good guess, although the backs of valet chairs were always flat, so that the jacket sleeves can hang straight down on the sides under the hanger, and folded trousers can be draped over the horizontal edge.

The back of the chair in question is clearly curved forward.

Also, from the picture posted, there does not appear to be any hardware for hanging up folded trousers or supports for a tray.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

just clean up and change sit ...super awesome chair