Easy and Simple Orange Garland

$5
1 Day

I’ve been seeing everyone all over Instagram and Pinterest create these beautiful DIY orange garland for a quick and easy piece of Christmas decor this year. I cannot believe I never thought to do this myself before! It was so super simple to make and didn’t really cost me anything to make since I already had a bunch of oranges at home. I definitely recommend trying this out if you have some extra time and some oranges to spare!

https://morningsonmacedonia.com/diy-easy-and-simple-orange-garland/

Bake The Orange Slices

The first thing you need to do is simply slice your oranges and then place them on a baking sheet. I baked them in the oven on 200 for about 3 hours.

Flip The Orange Slices While Baking

I also flipped the slices around every 30 minutes, that way they would bake evenly and one side wouldn’t get more done than the other. The house also smelled heavenly while the slices were baking! Talk about a natural and cheap way to fill the house with a great holiday scent! After they were done baking, I left them out overnight to dry.

This is what they looked like after baking.
Get Ready to Make The Garland
Once your slices are completely dry, it’s time to start stringing them on the garland! I used fishing wire for this because I didn’t want the string to be very noticeable. But you could also use some twine or something like that if you want. I think twine would look great with these orange slices as well! To string them, I poked a hole with an extended paperclip on each side of the orange slice and then just strung the fishing wire through each hole. 

String The Orange Slices Together

This was kind of a tedious process because I kept losing sight of the tiny hole and the fishing wire was hard to see as well! That’s why I think twine would work just fine for this project too. And it would probably make it even easier since you can see it better! Also, you don’t have to string just orange slices on it. You can get creative and add any other items you want! I’ve seen some beautiful orange garlands with cinnamon sticks attached to it or even some bay leaves as well. Just do a search on Pinterest for them and you will easily be inspired! I wanted to keep it simple and just do orange slices but if you are feeling more adventurous, go for it!

Finishing The Garland

I knew I wanted to do an orange slice garland on my hutch because it has that copper/rose gold tone to it and I didn’t think a traditional Christmas garland with red would look that great with it. I have a few touches of red from my Rae Dunn Canisters, but that’s it. I wanted a more neutral and natural Christmas vibe on my hutch and I think this orange slice garland was definitely the way to go to achieve that!

Closer view of garland.

20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Charity

• Susanln2
    Susanln2

Never tried drying fruit. Is this able to save year after year or is it one season and done?

• Charity
      Charity

Yeah, I didn't seal them either. I would prefer just to make a new one every year that way you still get the scent of the oranges. And it's super simple to do so I don't mind re-doing it.

• MissEm
    MissEm

Lol, OK, so I saw this post after I pitched a bag of old oranges that didn't get eaten up... Then of course, I went bsck to see how buried the oranges were in the trash, lol! Thankfully, we had just sent our son out with the trash, so they were right there, with an old green pepper and luckily the pepper was in a tied bag, lol! I am cutting them now, but wondering if it'll be just as good with older oranges?! One was a little too soft, so I didn't bother, but the other 3 are somewhat soft, not something we'd eat, bc it's obvious it's not good, lol, but for this I wonder if it'll be OK?! It's Def juicy.... Lol! Also, I wonder if you can do this with Apple slices?! Thanks for posting!

• Charity
      Charity

Yeah I’m sure the oranges would be fine to use! And yes I bet you can do the exact same thing with apple slices too! I need to try that as well!

• LInda
    LInda

I was Just wondering if you could thread a sewing needle with the fishing line to make it easier to string the orange slices.

• Mary McDonald
    Mary McDonald

Cute! Just have to add though that it’s a good thing you labelled all your dishes...otherwise no one would know what they are used for! 😉