Lampshade From Wool

$20

This small lampshade with an ombre stripe effect is made from just one ball of wool.

You can easily build lampshades yourself. Whether you re-stretch fabric, use cardboard or wool, you can make it as easy or complicated as you would like. This variant is child’s play, because the wool is simply stretched around the lampshade using a winding technique.

Material for the lampshade made of wool
  • Lampshade frame
  • Lamp base
  • 1 ball of wool with color gradient (blue, blue-green)
  • LED bulb
  • Scissors

This is how you make your own lampshade out of wool

The wool I used is relatively thick. If you have very fine ones, of course you have to wrap a little longer and you may need more balls of wool. However, half a ball was enough for me. But the amount of course also depends on the diameter of your lampshade.

Tie the beginning of the ball of wool to the top of the lampshade with a knot. Then always unwind the wool tightly from top to bottom and from outside to inside. Work your way around the lampshade in one direction. Make sure that the threads are evenly spaced. You can also deliberately leave larger gaps or wrap everything very closely together. You knot the end tightly at the upper edge so that the knot is on the inside.

Tip: If the wool is very frayed, you can spray the lamp with a little hairspray and smooth it out. It is best to use LED bulbs that do not warm up for this lamp so that nothing will burn.

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Josephine

• Lisa West
    Lisa West

Very prerty. Does it have ro be wool? Can I or any one use yarn from like Walmart which is a blend of polyester and cotton or silk etc? I know natural fibers don't burn. Wool cotton silk linnen(flax) don't not catch fire. Alot of material are a mix of mam made like polyester, rayon ect. Although rayon is made from wood.

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Lisa,

1. Many folks call all yarn, irregardless of the fibre content 'wool'.
      2. For the $20 cost of the project for all the materials listed, and the volume of yarn used, it is highly unlikely that it is wool
      3. Visually, the strands look to me like a synthetic yarn.
      4. With the top of the lampshade open, one covered with yarn is no more of a fire hazard than one covered with fabric.

If you are concerned with the lampshade getting too hot from the heat of the bulb, switch to an LED bulb. A quality brand name LED lightbulb should not give off so much heat that it is too hot to touch.

• Ginny
    Ginny

Does the yarn let much light come thru?

• Jeanne Martin
    Jeanne Martin

I've looked at a lot of DIY lampshades and this is, by far, the easiest one I've seen! Thanks!

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Takes time to do, but not too hard that you couldn't work on it while watching TV.

• Doreen Kennedy
    Doreen Kennedy

I love how unique your lamp shade looks.