Easy Apple Bird Feeder (Great for Kids!)

$5

How to make an easy apple bird feeder. This is a great project for kids to make with minimal help. Then hang it in the yard and watch the birds through the window. My kids like watching the birds, and the cats love it too!

You can use either peanut butter, vegetable shortening, lard, or gelatin to make this apple bird feeder. If you use gelatin, you will need to assist kids because it is hot.

Supplies

You'll need an apple, 1 cup peanut butter or lard or shortening or 1 pack unflavored gelatin or, twine, and 2 cups bird seed.

Cut the Apple

Cut the apple in half and scoop out the core to make a place for the bird seed. Then spread peanut butter or lard or shortening on the apple and add bird seed. If you are using gelatin, prepare it per the directions on the box and mix the bird seed in it while it's still warm.

Twine

Cut four pieces of twine. Tie them together at the top and at the bottom. Set the apple on the bottom knot and move the twine to make a nest of sorts.

Hang It

Then hang it in a tree. I put mine outside of the living room window so we can see it.

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Koti Beth Designs

• Joanie
    Joanie

I like your idea, but I can see the squirrels tearing into this. For birds I believe it needs a covering?

• Marcam1977
    Marcam1977

Hi Joanie. I was thinking the same of the squirrels. They are relentless buggers. I love the initial idea though! And if anyone has any thoughts or ideas how to "remedy" this apple anti-squirrel feeder, that would be great.

I've used HOT PEPPER FLAKES in my regular birdseed planters and it did keep the squirrels at bay. I had to use A LOT OF RED PEPPER FLAKES mixed within the feed. It WON'T harm the birds! It won't harm the squirrels either, but it will deter them.

• Schel McCord Ruiz
    Schel McCord Ruiz

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to do this with my grandson. He will love it!