Create the Perfect Fall Piece With This DIY Ombre Wreath

$20

I love everything about fall! I love the change in weather and the pumpkin spice scent in the air but mostly I love the colors! I decided to DIY the most amazing fall wreath using maple leaves in all the right tones! This ombre wreath is something you need to have on your front door every fall! If you want to learn how to make this stunning fall piece in just a few simple steps, this tutorial is for you! Make it your favorite fall yet and follow my step-by-step to making this gorgeous ombre wreath.

Tools and Materials:

• Fall colored maple leaves
  • Grapevine wreath
  • Hot glue
  • Burlap ribbon
  • Pipe cleaner
Maple leaf wreath
Remove the leaves from the stem

To make this amazing ombre wreath, I made sure I had maple leaves in all the fall colors. I used leaves from burnt orange to green. I started by removing the leaves from their stems and organizing them into color groups. 

Add steel picks
Add steel picks

To secure the stems of the leaves, I added little steel picks. This just helps keep them firm and provides them with a bit more stability. You don’t need to add these picks to make this amazing ombre design. Using just the hot glue will hold your leaves in place on your wreath.

Use hot glue
Hot glue on the leaves

To get started on the wreath, I took one color of leaves and started dipping the stems in the hot glue skillet. I then placed them in the wreath. One thing to focus on when designing this stunning wreath is making sure all the leaves are facing the same direction. 

DIY leaf wreath

Working in the same motion, I moved from my brighter oranges to the more burnt red color. I made sure that there were no gaps between the leaves and that the wreath was just full foliage. If you don’t want to create an ombre look, you can always place the colors at random and that would create a gorgeous fall kaleidoscope.

Keep the ombre style

I continued the ombre with the darker red and was so pleased with how the wreath was looking. If any of the leaves stuck out a little, I used another leaf to help compress them down. 

Add green leaves

Next, I started working with really pretty green leaves. What’s so great about wreaths is that you can use other foliage as well. If you don’t want to work with leaves, you can always use sunflowers or other decorative pieces. No matter what you use, a great tip is to always buy a little more than you think you’ll need. 

Fill in gaps
Fill in gaps

Once all my colors were in place, I made sure to fill in any gaps. I wanted the wreath to be full of color and life so I made sure there were no empty spaces. 

Tie loops
Make a bow

For an added, festive detail I decided to tie a bow. I started by making a few of these little loops. I used a very neutral color of burlap for my bow because the wreath already has so many vibrant fall colors. If you prefer the wreath as it is, feel free to skip this step! 

Fall leaf wreath DIY

If you want the bow to be a bit bigger and more eye-catching, you can make bigger loops with bigger tails!

Use a pipe cleaner

To hold all my loops in place, I used a pipe cleaner and twisted it around, making sure all the burlap pieces were contained within. 

Cut the ribbon tails

To get a professional finish on my ribbons, I folded the tails in half and cut from the middle, outwards at an angle. 

Attach the bow

To attach the bow to the wreath, I fed the pipe cleaner through the grapevine and secured it from behind. Once it was safely in place, I fluffed up the loops to get the desired look.  

DIY autumn leaf wreath

I love this fall ombre wreath! It’s the perfect seasonal decor piece! What other fall wreath ideas do you have? Let me know in the comments below! 

30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Nick Kreticos

• Tammy
    Tammy

Gorgeous! What a fantastic idea to separate the leaves like this to create such a beautiful wreath! Thanks for sharing!!

• Kim
    Kim

About how many leaves did you use?