Hanging/"Floating" Witch Hats

$18

Dressing up/decorating our front porch is one of my favorite things to do each season/holiday! This year, I decided to step it up a notch for Halloween by adding some witch hats that appear to be floating!

Supplies needed for this project
Supplies you'll need for this project

Witch Hats (found these at Dollar Tree for $1 each)

Fishing Line (found at Walmart for less than $2)

Sewing Needle (had on hand)

Beads of some kind (had on hand)

Clear Mini Command Hooks (can find these anywhere)

Small Size Outdoor Command Strip Refills (can find these anywhere)

Bead

Take a bead and thread it onto the fishing line to the length you'll want to have your hats hang from. (I made mine extra long knowing I could trim the excess after I hung them up).

Tie a few knots

Tie 2 knots around the bead so it stays in place and then using scissors, cut the fishing line just past where you placed the bead. (where the folds in my fingers are in this picture)

Thread the needle

Thread the fishing line onto the sewing needle

Poke through..

Find the tip of the hat and poke the needle through from the inside.

Pull it through

Pull the needle and fishing line through until the bead catches on the inside of the hat.

Ta-Da!

Fishing line is pulled through and the bead is doing its job so the line doesn't pull all the way through.

Video of previous steps

Here is a video that combines all previous steps

Place hooks

Video of me applying the OUTDOOR strips to the mini clear command hooks. Then placing these on the ceiling of my front porch. Apply pressure for about 30 seconds and then move on to the next one. You'll want these hooks to sit with nothing on them/no weight for a little while so they can really adhere to the ceiling/roof.

Hang the hats

One at a time, grab a hat, and drape the fishing line over the hook. Once the hat is at the desired height, tie 2 tight knots around the hook. This way, the hat shouldn't be able to fly off in case it gets windy. The excess fishing line that is hanging down past the knots, can now get clipped off with a scissors. Continue this process for each hat.

Voila!

All done! Now you get to enjoy and show off the magical, floating witch hats!

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home

• Diane Griffin
    Diane Griffin

Nice! Where did you find that witch doll ?

• Jacquelyn Perry
      Jacquelyn Perry

Then there's me that had to go back & look again cuz I thot, "that was a doll? Thot it was a kid." (In a nice way.) And I had a hard time seeing th pic on my fon w/glasses. You tricked me.

• Joseph N DeFranco
    Joseph N DeFranco

This is a cute idea! What I've done with my collection of witches hats [16 to be exact] is I hang them on the clothes line on my screened in porch. Kinda looks like this witch just did her laundry!

• Susan Rae Langley Jarman
    Susan Rae Langley Jarman

Love the cutie pie witch on the front porch too