Old Dresser With a Modern Twist

$50

A colleague had an old dresser that didn't really go with their current decor but because it was inherited from his father couldn't just let go of it.

He asked me to bring it back to this century and give it a more modern look, so they can enjoy it as part of their decor.

Before
Assess the damage

The dresser was a solid piece but very old. One of the drawer bottoms was missing so I started by repairing the drawer. Once that was done I started sanding the top and drawers.

As you can see here there was significant damage to the top. I sanded out most of it, even went in with a 60 grit sandpaper but just didn't come out. The owner was ok with that, as it ended up showing character and didn't look like a brand new dresser.

Sand it down
Paint

I wanted to use some stripes on this dresser so I used painters tape on the sides to achieve that look. Once they were on I painted the sides. For this I used chalk paint.

Once the tape was peeled off this was the look!! I recreated the same stripes on the other side as well.

Painters tape
Stripes

I also wanted to do a couple of black and gold stripes on the front, so I used painters tape for delicate surfaces.

Gold paint

I got this paint at Michael's

All done
Clear coat

Once it was all done I used a polycrylic clear coat and let it dry for 24-48 hours. I switched out the knobs and added new modern knobs that I had purchased from Amazon.

I like this dresser because it still has scratches and dings but a new modern look that will work with any decor. If you like this transformation and would like to see real time tips and tricks follow my Instagram @andreapalmai

30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Ellen
    Ellen

Why did you use chalkboard paint? At first, I thought it was really chalk paint but then I saw the pic of the paint can. Did your client want to be able to write notes on the side of the dresser? Seems rather odd to me.

• Andrea Palmai
      Andrea Palmai

As you can tell from the final product pictures it has a beautiful satin finish. So its the same thing as chalk paint. Once sealed with a polycrilyc clear coat the results. 🤯

William

Gorgeous. Love your work

• Janice
    Janice

Beautiful update! I bet the owner will get many more years of enjoyment from the piece. Nice work.