How to prevent grout from changing to darker color when wet?

BetsyKen EricksonKathy Gunter Law
+13

I have new bathroom floor tiles. I noticed that the grout changed to darker color when wet. My tiles and grout are light gray but the grout change to dark gray when wet so my floor looks so dirty. What can I do to prevent this? I know I should have sealed the grout before using the bathroom. Any help is appreciated.

• Simple Nature Decor

Probably should have sealed it, I have used on my older tiles bleach pen which took away the darker color. https://amzn.to/34Qv50A

• Redcatcec

Yes, you should have sealed it, yet it may not be too late. Let the grout thoroughly dry (maybe use fans) and the seal when dry. They have the product you need at diy stores.

• Johnavallance82

Hello,

Should have used a waterproof Grout originally, but go to DIY and buy a Sealer as soon as you can, and keep the area dry as there is no point sealing in the wet!

• That's an easy fix. Clean the grout well and let it dry. Use a good sealer on it and you'll be all set. Keep in mind, it will need resealing occasionally.

• Chloe Crabtree

Yes, you need to seal the grout and let the sealer dry for 24 hours.

• Janice

A clear sealer will remedy your problem.

• Em

Home Depot sells a grout sealer in the tile department. Use two coats.

Yep you need to seal the grout. It will look darker when wet cuz water absorbs into unsealed grout.

• Yes, grout sealer will prevent this a protect your grout moving forward. Too much water in the grout might lead to mold gathering or the grout itself breaking down and loosening in the space.

• Catherine Ballard

You'll need to seal the grout - once you do that, it won't change color anymore!

• Mogie

The only way is to seal the grout.

A sealer acts like a barrier in between the grout and the outside world, effectively stopping any water, dirt and other contaminants to enter.

High traffic areas or wet areas like showers that see a lot of water would definitely benefit from an annual application of a quality sealant.

That is why using the a quality grout sealant for shower tile floors is a very popular task for modern home owners as it saves time cleaning in the long run.

• Dee

Buy a product called Mapei Grout Refresh. It is easy to use, just tedious to do if the room is large. It has a built in sealer.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Make sure you don't use for a while in order for the grout to completely dry. Once it is clean and dry, you can seal it. It is normally recommended to re-seal every few years so it doesn't have to be done immediately after the job is finished.

• Ken Erickson

Do they lighten back when dry? If so, no problem. You can always seal the grout at any time. The grout can be removed and re-grout floor. We have grout that never needed sealer. Still look good after 3 years.

Hi Tcab: You can still seal the grout. Use a tile sealer or masonry sealer. That will make the grout water-resistant, if not waterproof, and help prevent the growth of mold and dirt. Here are some sites that may help:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/reseal-old-ceramic-tile-grout-39086.html

https://www.hunker.com/12318186/how-to-clean-seal-old-grout-in-tile-floor

Good luck