How to propogate succulents?..

BetsyHolly Lengner - Lost MomKathy Gunter Law
+11

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to propogate succulents? my succulents and I just found out that I can grow new ones from the old ones. That is SOOOO cool! Just one problem: I tried it and it didn't work. So I'm reaching out to my Hometalk friends for advice regarding the proper method of Ometv Chatroulette Omegle Bazoocam propagating succulents. Has anyone here had success that can share their secret method with me?

thanks

alexsunny

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Yes do not wet the compost, but lay the leaf on top or set it in the soil, It will form roots or plantlets and grow. Just wait and watch it happen.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

This link has 4 ways to propagate succulents, take a look and see if would be of help to you. I am about to do the same for the first time:

https://gardenbeast.com/how-to-propagate-succulents/#:~:text=Let%E2%80%99s%20start%20with%20the%20most%20common%20and%20what,using%20that%20leaf%20to%20grow%20a%20new%20succulent.

Best to you.

• Remove a leaf and let it sit and dry out. Then set it on a pot of potting soil and mist it with water. It will root and grow a new plant. I've even had this happen without the misting.

• DebraY
    DebraY

I agree with Ann, I have used the leaves or stems from cactus. I let the pieces dry out on the table next to the pot about 2 weeks.

The cactus develop a tiny root by then. I only use Cactus soil, make sure it is a good brand. I place the pieces in large circular cactus dishes that are 2 inches deep, water well every 2 weeks with a small amount of fertilizer added in the water.

In about 6 months you will have to transplant again to maybe A 6 inch pot. You are going to love them!

• Hosts of sites and You Tube videos to help you out. Here are a few:

https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/how-to-propagate-succulents-from-leaves-and-cuttings/

https://gardenerspath.com/how-to/propagation/succulents-five-easy-steps/

https://youtu.be/cK3Qg2mGYAg

However, the zone and microclimate where you live does make a difference. I am in Zone 9 bordering on Zone 10. I can propagate with virtually no effort whatsoever. Stick them in potting soil (They sell cactus and succulent soil - way overpriced, mix yourself - I don't bother), I just stick them in water or tuck in some dirt, yes, dirt or potting soil and they magically grow for me. This morning was 50° and going up to 102° today. It gets inferno HOT here in summer so mine live mainly on the north side of the house under a fig tree where they receive morning sun, dappled during the day and a bit of late afternoon sun. Mine get watered more often due to extreme heat and low to single digit humidity. And have been growing succulents since the 60's, so this method works in this corner of the world. Where you live it may be completely different. So read a number of methods and see how they respond. The death of succulents is overwatering. They thrive on neglect.

Where I work, the landscaper / gardener is sloppy. Picked these bits up one and two weeks ago. As you can see they both have rooted. When they have enough roots to be stable, will place each in a pot and keep in a protected area until well established. Can be planted in a pot or in ground, again depending upon what zone you are in. Mine are outside year round.

Lastly, one of my newer avocado trees that was sunburned while I was away for a few days. Will grow to patio pot size and give as a gift. Most of them fruit, but some do not, (it takes a long time), still they are a nice addition to a porch, yard or patio.

• Mogie
    Mogie

If the leaves came off clean and not broken at the base or shriveled up, just lay them on a layer of succulent potting mix in a shallow pan. I use a plastic plate. In s few weeks you will see tiny roots at the end. You should also spray them with water every week or so but not really that important. I have left mine unattended for longer than a week and they did fine. If you look at any succulents growing in an outside garden you will see when their leaves fall they propagate themselves. Same principle. There are also you tube videos of how to do this.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

You can cut a piece off and dip it in rooting hormone

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. It might depend on your actual species. I have sedum that I can shear with a scissor —throw on the groundo orplace on the top of the flower pot with soil and the tiny sheared cuttings will effortlessly root!

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

Hi Alex, sorry you had problems with propagating your succulents. I hope this will help you. Good luck.

How-To: Propagating Succulents | The BLOG at Terrain - Terrain

www.shopterrain.com › blog_entries › propagating-suc...

Sep 13, 2019 — Allow the cuttings to dry for a few days in an empty tray until the raw ends have calloused. Next, the cuttings can be rooted in soil or water. Soil: Once the stems have calloused, fill a shallow tray with well-draining cactus/succulent soil and place the cuttings on top.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Make sure your soil is succulent friendly. It needs to be in an environment that is rocky, sandy, and well draining.

I just break a decent size piece, at least an inch, and dig a small hole in the soil with my finger. Place the broken off piece into the hole and pack the soil around it. Make sure you don't water and that it gets lots of sunlight.

All my succulents are from a friend's over abundance. When she purges, I get her cuttings.

Betsy

Hi Alexsunny: What I do with mine is to cut a piece of the leaf from the main plant, right at where it's attached and stick it in a pot of potting soil. I keep it out of direct sunlight and keep the soil evenly moist, but not wet. 9 times out of 10 they root, if the cat doesn't eat them. Good luck