Farmhouse Tray

$5

We have been redoing our almost 100 year old Farmhouse (very slowly) and finally after 3 years have a dining room table again! Yippee!!! 😂

I totally changed the look of the table set with paint and stain, but it needed something. That's when I thought of making a tray. Please keep in mind that I am not crafty...so this is done the easy way. 😉

Gather Materials

One positive thing about being a hoarder, is that I usually have lots of junk laying around. For my tray base I found an old cabinet door, a couple drawer pulls from a dresser, 4 wooden knobs for the feet, and a mold that I planned on using for decorative features.

Drill Holes

I actually started painting before I realized that I needed holes for the handles and for the feet. 😬.

I measured and drilled holes for each handle and each knob for the feet. I'm sure a more crafty person could figure out how to adhere the feet without drilling a hole all the way through but... I knew I was going to cover them so I didn't worry. Screw in the feet now so you can paint them with the rest of the tray.

Creating Molds

I didn't want the screws of feet to show on the top of my tray so I created little molds to go right over with hot glue.

Adding Hot Glue

This is so simple! You just heat up your hot glue gun and fill the mold. Then let dry completely before removing. You could totally skip this step if you don't mind seeing the screws on the tray.

Glue Your Mold

After your mold dries made out of hot glue you just hot glue it right over the screw. What I like about using hot glue to make the molds is that they are flexible.

Paint

When you are finished, paint the whole tray with your favorite chalk paint. I used Retique It paint in Snow. Then if you want..seal with Polyacrylic.

Add your handles

Your last step is to screw in and secure your handles. My favorite hardware is French provincial pulls that I found, because it gave it a fancier look. Almost any handles will work.

Finished Look!

I love the way it came out! Who would guess it was an old cabinet door? There is really so many different fun looks you could do just by choosing different hardware, paint or feet. Sky's the limit!

Last Note

If you are worried about the feet of your tray scratching your table... Add little felt pads to the very bottom. 😉

This project costs barely anything since I had most items laying around. Cost of project can vary.

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps

• Colleen
    Colleen

Did you use rubber molds? The glue doesn't melt the mold or get stuck in it? I would like to try this.

• Roberta
      Roberta

I'm not sure what they're made out of, but there's two companies that make them.

Prima and IOD. You can use hot glue, certain resins,paper clay.. and maybe even more products that I'm not aware of.

• Zeze
    Zeze

Beautiful 😍.. it's so elegant!! I absolutely have to make one!! I love the way the table runner fits underneath it.. you thought of everything!! Thank you..

• Tammy Nichols
    Tammy Nichols

I Thank you did a excellent job. I think it is beautiful and I love that it’s easy to make. Great job I think I’m gonna try that