Denim Pom Pom Flowers

$1

I love to upcycle my old jeans, I use the bigger pieces for pillows and denim upholstery. But I also keep the left over denim scraps for other projects like my gorgeous and very popular denim feathers (see them here). This time I used these scraps to make some lovely pom pom flowers.

For this craft you will need long thin scraps of denim.

First cut the denim into strips about 8cm wide and 40cm long. I used a rotary cutter for this.

Next, fold the denim strips in half length ways and either glue or stitch the sides. Make sure the wrong sides of the denim are touching.

Then with a pair of scissors cut into the folded denim about 5mm apart. Leave a margin at the bottom of about 1cm.

Next, get a long piece of garden wire to use as stem and glue one end of the cut denim strip to the wire.

Wrap the denim strip around the wire and secure in place with glue.

Using the free template on my blog post at the end cut out and make some denim leaves.

Thread these leaves onto the wire stem until they reach the pom pom flower. Glue the leaf in place.

Wrap scrap denim around the rest of the bare wire stem and glue in place.

Cut more strips of denim in different colours to make more flowers in different shades of indigo.

Until you have enough flowers to make a whole bouquet. As well as these denim pom pom flowers I've also made denim roses (see here).

For more pictures and details visit the blog post at the end.

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Jamie Tyler Smith
    Jamie Tyler Smith

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing your gifts with we fellow crafters! A perfect accent for any room! LOVE IT!

• Coco
    Coco

Claire, I am so excited to have found someone who could switch on that light bulb for me. I have so many jeans that hold sentimental value that my heart just couldn't donate them. I love all of the ideas you have and now these tired old jeans will have a new life. So happy  . Thanks so much!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue
      Claire at Pillarboxblue

Thank you, Coco. I just love upcycling denim and if you go to my site you will find loads of ideas that are a bit outside of the box.