Quick & Easy Upgrade: Nest Hello Smart Doorbell Installation!

$250

After a few too many doorbell chimes waking up sleeping babies, I decided to upgrade our doorbell to a Nest Hello smart doorbell, and OH MY GOODNESS it was so worth it.

Prepare the Area

This is what we were working with before - nothing really wrong with it, just a standard doorbell, but it certainly wasn't helping us keep the kids to sleep.

The main feature I wanted from this project was the ability to turn off the chime at will - the nest app lets you do that!

But before you can silence your chime at will, you'll need to prepare the area. Turn off the power to the doorbell at your breaker panel (ours had a light behind the button, so it was easy to tell when it was off), and clean the area.

Gather your materials

Next, you'll want to gather everything you'll need. I used a Nest Hello smart doorbell and an inexpensive chime box (keep reading to see that!).

Upgrade the chime box if you need to (or want to)

We had a very fancy doorbell...20 years ago. Upgrading the unit to something more modern and clean looking made a huge difference! I did run into a small issue though, so keep reading.

Make sure your chime is compatible.

It turns out the old transformer for the original chime wasn't compatible with the new smart doorbell, so I had to update it. Check out the full post on my blog to see what I did to fix it!

Install the smart doorbell

Once I got the chime figured out, I connected the existing wires from the old doorbell to the new smart one (Nest gives you great step-by-step instructions in their app for this), and I was in business!

After - Silence and Security

One of the great features of this doorbell in particular is that it has a camera in it (and a really great quality one at that). Though I originally bought it for the chime feature, the camera has really come in handy.

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Catherine Ballard