Refinished Thrifted Vintage Side Table Turned Nightstand

$30

A few weeks ago, I was walking through Goodwill, and stumbled upon a set of vintage side tables. I was in the market for nightstands, and saw great potential in these! Honestly, they weren't much to look at; but I knew a little paint and new hardware would bring these from drab to fab! I'm going to show you how I transformed two old side tables into two beautiful nightstands.

**This post only shows the steps for one table. Both were done exactly the same. "

Before

This is what the table looked like when I found it at the Goodwill. Not very pretty; but had potential!

Light Sanding

The top of the table had some light damage, nothing sanding couldn't take care of. I used a 120 grit, and lightly sanded the top to even out the damaged areas. I also removed the old hardware.

Chalk Paint

I absolutely love chalk paint. My favorite brand is by House and Canvas paint. They have so many amazing colors and the paint goes on like butter! I used the color, Champagne, to get this creamy antique white.

Apply very little paint at a time

I like to point out, when applying chalk paint, you really only need a small amount on your brush. A little goes a long way. It also alleviates paint dripping.

Painting the table

Applying the paint was easy! I like to use a round brush, when applying chalk paint.

Since I used chalk paint, I didn't need to do any priming before applying the paint. I added two coats of paint to the table.

Sealing the paint

I used House and Canvas furniture wax, in clear, to seal my table. You can also use a poly seal as well. I would suggest using polycrylic vs polyurethane, when using light colored paint.

New hardware

I wanted to keep the vintage feel of the table, by adding hardware with a vintage flare. I found these beautiful round pull knobs on Amazon. They cost $10 for six. Not a bad price!

Completed Project!

I think she turned out absolutely beautiful!! The new hardware pairs perfectly with the antique white!

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen

• Kyralee
    Kyralee

Nice way to save that piece. It went from "passed over" to "wouldn't pass it by"! It looks fantastic. Well done.

• Dyke Hanson
    Dyke Hanson

I have used chalk paint. To keep the chalk look, I use a clear varnish instead of the wax.