Harvest Moon Light

$15

The moon is timeless, mysterious, and beautiful. So why not capture a bit of its essence and incorporate it into your home décor? This glow-y Harvest Moon Light not only makes for a howling addition to your fall and Halloween vibe but it also brings a dreamy, soothing luminosity to a nursery or bedroom.

You’ll need (affiliate links on my blog earn proceeds that are donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations):

* A sea sponge

* Acrylic or latex paint

* A piece of cardboard for painting

* Globe light fixture – you’ll want to get something you can easily get your hand inside of.

* Something to act as a base – this pillar candle holder fits the 4 inch light fixture opening and will hold the globe in place while hiding the bottom.

* Fairy lights, if you can get them off of your favorite imp. :)

First, wet the sea sponge and squeeze out the excess water.

Add some paint onto the cardboard and dab it with the sponge. Press it onto the cardboard multiple times to get rid of the excess.

Insert the sponge into the globe and press it onto the interior surface. Continue pressing in different places until the sponge is out of paint. Reload as needed and continue until the entire surface of the inside of the globe is covered in a sponged texture.

Ensure that the paint is applied in random patterns and create some areas that are painted heavier than others. The surface of the moon is uneven and has both darker and lighter spots so the globe should, too.

Once the paint has fully dried, insert the fairy lights into the globe.

Place the globe opening down onto the base piece.

Turn the fairy lights on and enjoy!

Watch the easy-to-follow video tutorial here! The proceeds from this video (and the entire channel) are also donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations. Please watch, like, share, and subscribe to help raise funds for donations ❤

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
OnTheFly...DIY

• Sandi M

What color paint did you use, just looks like white in the pic. Would this also work with colored paint? I'm thinking of doing this out in the yard with some solar fairy light I have

• Sandi M

Thanks. I'm going to try with some stained glass paint I have and if it works I''ll post it. Great idea. Ive had a couple of the globes for a while and was wondering what to do with them

• Julie

I love this so much!! Can't wait to try it, but was also wondering like someone else had asked, would other paint colors work? I was thinking of using a light blue along with the color you used and maybe even mixing in a little pale yellow to dab in different spots or maybe just on it's own. I'll post again if I try and let you know how it turns out! Thanks again for a great idea and I love your sweet doggie getting involved in the process! 💙💚💛

• OnTheFly...DIY
      35 minutes ago

I'm guessing other paint colors would work! I used the antique white as I wanted the paint to blend in with the light while it was off but be a beautiful surprise once turned on. But yes, definitely post again - I'd LOVE to see your finished project! :)

• Robyn Garner

I really like this subtle project. Although, the lit up dog is even better! 😎

• Lisa West

This is supwer lovely, easy and cheap to do. But creates a very elegant look. Wpuld make a wonderdul gift for Christmas this year to, as the oandemic has hit many house holds hard. This project is only pennies to create and makes a big impact in the end. Great idea to use an old light fixture, you can find many of these just road side shopping lol. Thank you for sharing, I will be doing this.