How To Paint Fabric That Is Washable

$15

Hello friends! In this tutorial I’m going to show you how to paint fabric that is washable, using only Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. You will not need to use any special additives or any special top coats. Yay!!! There is a video of this also that shows the more distressed version of this project. You can watch that here, https://youtu.be/LVZKoKGFmgM

What do you think? Do you like this farmhouse table runner?!? I hope so! I’m going to be showing you this project on a table runner, but you could use the same ideas on anything from making T-shirts to a tablecloth to signs.

Iron Runner

The first thing I did was iron my table runner flat. (I purchased blank canvas runners from Amazon.)

Tape Off Stripes

Then, I taped off what areas I wanted for stripes on the outer parts. I used little pieces of tape between the outer stripe layers for an easy spacing guide. My kitty Binx decided he NEEDED to be part of the action...

Cut Away Tape

I also cut away tape on the short ends to make a crisscross pattern of the lines. (Psst. I LOVE frog tape brand painters tape!)

Paint

Once the tape was pushed down onto my fabric, I painted the lines with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite with an Annie Sloan stencil brush.

In the photos you can see that I chose to paint pretty heavily, in the video option of this tutorial you can see where I did it really light for a more distressed look.

Once my lines were painted, I peeled off the tape that was on the innermost part of the design for my stencil to fully fit better. I am using an adhesive backed, silkscreen stencil. I picked up this one at Hobby Lobby a few years ago. There are a lot of versions of this type of stencil on Amazon and a couple large companies that manufacture a similar type stencil. They are cool because they are washable and reusable, yet don’t have bridges and they seal very well, giving a nice crisp line.

Stencil

I laid down the stencil and painted it with my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite also.

You could really use any color of Annie Sloan paint, I just went with a simple black design for a farmhouse feel.

Heat Set Paint

Once the paint is dry, the key to getting this washable is to heat set the paint. You can do this by either putting it in the dryer for a while, or going over it with an iron like I did.

And just like that, I was finished. Quick and easy and if a kid spills something on it no biggie, I will just throw it in the washing machine!

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Everything Red For Canada Day
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Originally Worn