Quick and Easy Kitchen Renovation Hack

$150
1 Day

I wanted to use this post to share with you one of the best short-term reno hacks I've utilized to update our living space. I know I've mentioned in previous posts that we're wanting to renovate certain areas of our home, but we're just not quite ready to take on such an expensive, time-consuming, life-disrupting project right now. So, in the meantime, I've found quick, easy, and inexpensive solutions that have served as perfect "bandaids" for areas deserving of some TLC.

These tile stickers are made specifically for wall tiles and are meant to hold up to life's everyday messes. They also come in a variety of sizes, designs, and quantities, which makes it very easy to find exactly what you want.

I decided to go with their "Stars" pattern because I thought it was a fun yet timeless design. And the black and white colour palette perfectly compliments both the paint I used on our kitchen cupboards, as well as the walls.

As you can see in the photo, the tiles in our kitchen might have worked well in another decade. Some people enjoy floral wall tiles, I do not, lol. So, with my new vinyl decals in hand, I got to work covering up our outdated backsplash.

Because of the dimensions of the tiles, I had to trim each decal the tiniest bit. To make sure I did that correctly, I simply held the stickers against the tiles, marked one horizontal and one vertical edge, drew two straight lines with the help of my ruler, and cut away the excess.

Next, to get a nice adhesion between the tile and the decal, I made sure the backsplash was clean and dry. I then pulled back the top portion of the protective backing and applied the sticker to the wall. As I pulled away the rest of the backing, I made sure the decal remained straight and free of air bubbles.

I decided to cover all of the full-sized tiles first, and once those were complete, I moved on to working with the partial tiles. Even though it wasn't always possible, I did try my best to use one decal for multiple partial tiles.

Side note: here's a good shot of the kitchen cupboards demonstrating a "before" and "after" look. Painting cupboards isn't for the faint of heart. It's something I'd personally never do again, at least not in a space this size. However, that being said, I am happy I did it.

And there you have it! I think the transformation the decals made is unbelievable. I couldn't have asked for a better result.

I also added a layer of frosted contact paper to the glass inside the upper cupboards (a dollar store find, by the way). It doesn't completely hide the contents of our cupboards, but for a $5.00-ish solution, I'm giving it a pass.

What do you think? Is this something you can see yourself doing in your home? We have a powder room that has similar tiles in it, and I'm seriously considering covering them with decals, too! But that's a project for another day.

Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Katie Sara Creates

• Bek
    Bek

I'm a bit in love with this, including your "frosted" glass-front cabinets. I'm of the "If it 'ain't' broke, don't fix it school" of thought, but you can sure dress it up! Your tiles and grout were in good shape, so why not save a few thousand (at least a few hundred) dollars that can be better spent elsewhere? In fact, having priced new tiles, plain versus decorated, I'd be tempted to go with the stickers even if I were replacing the tiles!

Re the frosting film...I really like that. Much better than a frosting that would have obscured the contents more. This just softens, adding a very charming look.

• Katie Sara Creates
      Katie Sara Creates

Thank you so much, Bek! I agree! The cupboards and tiles/grout were perfectly fine, they just didn't suit my personal taste, so giving them a makeover rather than ripping them down was the perfect solution. Thanks again.

• Ohiorn
    Ohiorn

This is wonderful! How many packages of tile did you need the square footage your have?

• Katie Sara Creates
      Katie Sara Creates

It was quite awhile ago when I did this, so I can't remember the exact number, but when I roughly count the tiles now, it looks like I used approximately 80 stickers! I hope this helps!

• Jenny
    Jenny

I'm thinking of doing this. How robust have the decals proved to be? I really like the look.

• Katie Sara Creates
      Katie Sara Creates

Hi Jenny! I've had them up for two or three years (can't remember off the top of my head) and they've held up very well. They're easy to wipe down with a damp cloth if they get dirty, and I haven't had any issues with peeling or discolouration. I highly recommend them! Because of the quality, I think they're priced fairly. I hope this helps!